Comments: 4
bookaneer 5 years ago
Huh. What happened to the whole religious-theocratic-world-takeover-thing?
The Farceur Trilogy 5 years ago
You mean from Elantris? Yeah, that was the Fjordell Empire. The Empire in this book is the Rose Empire, which I don't even think was even mentioned in Elantris (the connection between the two books is pretty tenuous). And you don't really learn much about the Rose Empire in this book at all - which one of the many details that I felt was lacking.
bookaneer 5 years ago
Huh. Yeah, so far as I remember (and I just looked back up my review :) ), there were exactly two nations that hadn't fallen to the Fjordell Empire/ Shu-Direth: Arelon and Teod. That's...like...it.
I wonder if pressure was put on him by his publishers to say it was a sequel. Apparently it happens....Ben Aaronovitch even wrote a song. http://temporarilysignificant.blogspot.com/2013/05/youve-got-to-write-sequel-or-two.html :)
The Farceur Trilogy 5 years ago
Hah, I enjoyed that song! :)

While I don't think his publishers would have pressured him for a sequel to Elantris since they were probably happily raking in the money from The Wheel of Time books (then again, what the heck do I know), maybe they figured his novella would have more sales if it were tied to one of his prior works?

I think there might be an annotation from Sanderson in the book that talks about its relationship with Elantris, but that wasn't included in the audiobook so I can't shed any light on anything other than what was provided in the text. There was so little world-building in the novella itself.

In a way, it did seem kind of cheap to tie it to Elantris, though I could definitely see the relationship within the magic system.