I love you for this post. Now I need to keep an eye on it before I lose it.
Library Liz·ard 4 years ago
thank you, I needed this!! please share any other nifty things :)
Princess Eva Rose 4 years ago
This post has been so helpful. I thought I would stuck forever on brown wallpaper, instead now I have the lovelies of farm background. Thank you!
Tami 4 years ago
Help! I must be terminally stupid, but it didn't work for my blog :-( I followed all steps religiously - until the end. Then I don't know what to do, how to escape the split screen with the html code...and I have the "repeat" twice in the code...
Tami 4 years ago
It's strange - when I log onto my blog like an outsider I see the new design - when I go to my dashboard it changes back to the ugly brown faux wood thingie...I contacted helpdesk...
Library Ladder 4 years ago
Thanks! You are awesome, I second AnHeC'
s comment.
rtm 4 years ago
Holy hell, this helps cut out all the frustration and cursing that would normally from me while trying to do this
. Thanks.
Derrolyn Anderson 4 years ago
YAY! Thanks for this. I'm changing it over and over till I hit on something un-lame :)
See how much love you get XD Also, did you just call me a stalker ?! How... apt. ^^ Well, what can I say. You have very passionate followers. Like Voldemort (ha ha, following that logic Voldemort had an army of stalkers)
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Wow! Thanks so much everyone. I'm sooo happy it helped you!
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Tami, there's a button on the left hand side just below the code that's basically this: <
Princess Eva Rose 4 years ago
BL is definitely lagging a lot, there has been an avalanche of people that had move over or are checking out the site.
I think they're doing pretty well considering the situation. That sort of influx is harsh. GR is a behemoth.
Josie 4 years ago
Thank you so much for this, it was very helpful! Do you know how to change the overall writing colour?
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
You're very welcome. And I don't know how to change the color, I'll have to look into it.
basic font color="color" /font will do the job ^^ One must only pay attention to where you open and close it. (sorry for chiming in, I will be good from now on, I promise)
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Chime in as much as you want! Saves me from having to look it up myself, lol.
There are two ways I know of, actually. http://j4n3m3.booklikes.com/post/222397/how-to-customize-your-booklikes-blog This tool is great for people that don't know html, but I didn't find in it option to change colours of links.

So I'd do the whole thing manually. ^^ customizing each link by: style="color: white"

Tutorial?
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
I actually used the template without a header, the one with the default brown background. I haven't played around with the others but I think Anna and Eva have?
YAS! TUTORIAL!!!
I may write one, because that's what I'm working on right now XD Changing font colour.
Josie 4 years ago
Thanks, I'll definitely check out your tutorial if you make one :)
I'm surprised they don't have a general font colour change below the blog title one.
YES! I've finally figured it all out! Gee, changing colour of comments was a fun one... Prepare for a tutorial XD
WOOT!
Library Liz·ard 4 years ago
yay!!!
OMG, bless you, LitChick *gets on knees and kisses feet*

Now to see if even I can make heads/tails out of this & do something w/ my boring page. Cheers! :)
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Good luck! Between AnHeC and I we should have you covered!
Weekend homework... *sobs in anticipation of pounding headache to come*
Marianna 4 years ago
Litchick, your picture is nice but I can't read the comments! Is it possible to edit the background of the comments?
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
It is, I just haven't gotten to that yet. That's this morning's task. That line of code should be
Did you know that this background changed my perception of that cat? Now it's relaxed, kind off in a holiday spirit. He's chilling, no worries in the world ^^
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
I was thinking I'd make my backgrounds seasonal. That way I only have to fuck with all the color code I've put in four times a year, lol.
Thank you for this!
You're welcome!
Tonina Talks Tales 4 years ago
Apparently I'm really stupid b/c I can't get this to work. I've done all of what you outline and I've even added a border picture too. When I go to the "customize" section of the Template option, all of my changes - title color, photos, etc. - show up each time. I've hit the save button (the one in the bottom left-hand corner, under the "Themes" button and across from the "Edit HTML" one) to keep all my changes about a million times. But when I leave the customize template section to go back to settings or look at my blog, everything shows up as the same old starter-image crap. And yet, when I go to start over again, all my desired changes show up when I get to the customize template part. I'm ready to slam my laptop into a wall. Any suggestions?
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Huh. So let me get this straight. When you go back to the "Edit HTML" page, your blog is showing up how you want it to on the bottom of your split screen but when you hit save and exit out of it and pull up your blog it doesn't look like the changes took? And you've used that little drop-down menu I point out and done the same for Blog, Timeline, Shelf, Followers/Following and Page? If so, I got nothing, it might be a glitch.
Tonina Talks Tales 4 years ago
It's fine when I exit the "Edit HTML" part too. Basically I follow each step that you've posted, through editing the code to create a static image in each segment (Blog, Shelf, etc.) via the drop-down menu. The trouble starts after I've saved all those changes and I try to go out of the area with the left-hand rail that has all the settings options for customizing things and head back to my actual blog. As soon as I try to do that, even though I have saved all my changes a million times, my blog looks like the normal ugly starter crap. I must be doing something wrong - I just don't know what. Maybe I should log out and in again to see if it's a glitch?
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
I'd do that. It sounds like a glitch. If that doesn't fix it I'd send the admins a "Help me!" email. Everyone says they're very helpful ^_^
Tonina the same thing is happening for me. I have created a beautiful header and background but they only show up when in the customize screen. How do we apply it to day to day screen? De we create our idea as another templet?
Gypsy, I see the new design when I access your page. You might just want to close all your BL pages and then going back in again. This will take you out of the "settings" screen so that you're not stuck there.
hugs and thanks, fingers crossed.
hugs and thanks, fingers crossed.

Tonina Talks Tales 4 years ago
Huh. I did try logging out and going back through everything again, but it didn't work (or at least it doesn't look like it to me). So looks like I'll be calling in the BL folks in the AM. Boo.
Did you actually save? And were you working on the right page of HTML? Because you need to make changes for blog/timline/shelf.
Tonina Talks Tales 4 years ago
Yes and yes, to the best of my knowledge. I went through all the different parts blog/page/shelf/etc. and made the code changes in each part. The HTML code looked exactly as pictured above. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll fight with it later in the day, because there's no way I'm risking waking up my son by accidentally yelling out an obscenity. I'm sure it'll turn out to be something silly that will make all who've helped me laugh uproariously. :)
Tonina Talks Tales 4 years ago
Thanks for your help, Cory. :) And Gypsy, I can see the different design on your page too. Looks great!
Tonina, is it the autumn leaves background? If so, I see it on all of your pages: blog, shelf and timeline. If you look at it using your page address you can see the pages as well: http://tonina.booklikes.com/
Litchick may I make a suggestion for those of us who need to be told the obvious sometime. If you add just two more steps to the above it would help.
- Go to settings in the upper right, above default. This will take you back to dashboard view. Then click on your avatar picture to take you to your personal pages. Now we get to see our work and to leave the setup.
Experiment BL626 4 years ago
I got a tip. If you want perfect full page background like this ( http://css-tricks.com/perfect-full-page-background-image/ ), add "background-size: cover;" after "fixed;" to make it into "0 0 fixed; background-size: cover;".
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Nice! I'll have to add these bits in!
Thank you BL626 I didn't want tile but didn't know how to full page it. Appreciated.
Litchick, i was wondering if there are any size restrictions for the background pic. My former backgrounds made it difficult for the blog page to upload/open up.
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Hmmm...I hadn't run into any issues size-wise and I experimented with a few full screen HD backgrounds. The only problem that I've heard of was through friends that used pictures that were too small and they ended up tiling.
well, a friend couldn't open up my blog page when I uploaded a 1900 pixels wallpaper and as soon as i resumes to the standard blog the page was loaded. Another thing, how do you get the name change for "following" and "followers"... Thanks a lot for the help, Litchick!
Litchick's Hit List 4 years ago
Really? Huh. I have no idea why that would do that. Have you tried something smaller to see if it works? And I actually wrote a tutorial for the friends/followers changes. Here you go:
Mikela 4 years ago
You're a life saver...thank you so much!!
You're welcome!
My Never Ending List 4 years ago
Wow, you made that so easy! Thank you so much.
My Never Ending List 4 years ago
Wow, you made that so easy! Thank you so much.

You're welcome ^_^
Jamie's Book Blog 4 years ago
Hi, what exactly does it do making an image static? Pretend I'm a complete moron and explain it in Jamietalk lol. I was playing around with my header/background but really don't know what it means by static. Thank you.
Marianna 4 years ago
Static is just another word for "fixed". Instead of your background image moving with the rest of the page it is glued into its position. Everything else scrolls but it doesn't. Does that make sense?
Jamie's Book Blog 4 years ago
Oh ok, thank you so much. Yes it does. Don't know why I didn't realize that lol.