Tackling Mt. TBR 11 years ago
I don't really understand all the ins and outs of synchronization, but I thought it was really unprofessional how they attempted to place all the blame on BookLikes and coming off all the drama the whole thing seems a bit off anyway.
Debbie's Spurts 11 years ago
Suspicious, too, from someone literally in the cybersecurity end of IT, that it happens after their servers saw abnormal activity with members exporting data to backup files and voluntarily editing (or even deleting) personal content to stay ahead of policy announcement, after some downtimes with the message "due to database migration" ( translation -- amazon likely adding to or moving to more servers), integrating the amazon data into the goodreads database (as noted in librarians group where the amazon data was causing some issues so not a successful import), the new kindle paperwhite integration, the additional content review/handling by staff members (some newer hires not familiar with goodreads database yet) with supervisor level access to mess with member shelves, "cache" slowdowns indicative of potentially corrupted indexes that needed addressed, likely an increase of massive star ratings and massive flaggings, ... all problematic. Then goodreads turns around and on pretty much every public bug report open in feedback says booklikes is to blame ... Right ... That's likely even if their claim that booklikes sync was an issue, it ain't the answer to all their bugs. And it is goodreads responsibility to secure their database from api issues (let's face it their disaster recovery/backup can/cannot pre-booklikes comments don't inspire trust -- and all the pre-booklikes migration iOS app leaking private posts, no doubt to be blamed on booklikes which didn't even use the api when that one started.). Admittedly, booklikes is new to me and doesn't have my trust yet (most sites don't but goodreads used to) but I'm not buying this bag of beans.
Debbie's Spurts 11 years ago
Page errors on goodreads site are in no way booklikes related.
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
Yup, curiouser and curiouser. I don't buy any of it. Also, them blaming BL is so frigging unprofessional. I'm so close to rage-quitting that site.
ELECTIC ADDICTION 11 years ago
I agree its tacky I think they sent the latest email to everyone who has started to make the switch to Booklikes because none of my reviews were deleted and I got it. Blaming Booklikes is ridiculous especially since you can see goodreads has been going through some site changes recently and probably missed up the coding when adding new features.
rtm 11 years ago
If I didn't moderate a group on GR, last night's email would have been the final nail on GR's coffin for me. I don't even have the sync on, so that
email just proved to me that GR was being petty and malicious.
Tackling Mt. TBR 11 years ago
That was another thing that bothered me. There were people that weren't even synching that got the email. So that means, if things are getting deleted it has to be their problem and if things aren't getting deleted then they are trying to paint BookLikes in a negative light since many people have migrated over here.
rtm 11 years ago
I'm one of those people. I'm not synced to GR, and I got that bogus email. Makes no sense
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
Ha! I'm not either. Seems like they were trying to mass tell their users not to trust BL and goad them into coming back. *rageface*
ELECTIC ADDICTION 11 years ago
I got the email last night and was shocked I never would have thought that they would stoop to that level to discredit Booklikes.
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
I just rage-quit GR via a status update announcing all this shit with links and all. Fuck em.
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 11 years ago
Upon thinking about it, I'm still utterly mystified by the reaction of GR: I mean, suppose you do have a dangerous button. Suppose it has a label saying "Don't press this". Suppose someone is pressing it anyway. On what planet does removing the label help?

Further suppose you have a bunch of not-so-dangerous buttons, and the same person pressing the dangerous one, is using those. Why not just put an out of order sticker on the dangerous one (ie, disable the API call if you think someone is using it incorrectly), and how does shutting down all the buttons (blocking the synching entirely) fix anything?

Thirdly, how the hell is BL supposed to debug and test anything to fix it, even on the very tiny chance it IS their fault, if they're locked out.

Removing the API documentation, if there ever was any to start with, and I honestly don't believe there was, is just about the most useless pointless possible reaction.
Debbie's Spurts 11 years ago
Yeah, removing the documentaion is a particularly odd response. Makes you wonder if they regret listening to author-zillas.
No More Booklikes, BYE 11 years ago
I got the lovely email of doom and gloom and I laughed. What a cheep shot GR, low and so like you these days. I didn't lose any books/reviews. I don't know of anyone who has yet, you guys ?
No More Booklikes, BYE 11 years ago
LC can I reblog this ?
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
Absolutely you can. And I know one or two that did but only because GR's ISBNs are fucked up.
No More Booklikes, BYE 11 years ago
I like it here they will have to try harder than that to get me to leave BL
Wow so GR is just on a R.O.L.L. They are falling apart and just blaming everybody for their problems. You know, I wasn't exactly positive if I was going to leave them for good or just stop using it for now and keep my account there but I think I just decided...GR doesn't deserve any reward for the way they've behaved. They've been unprofessional, unkind, and unconcerned about their faithful followers. So BL now has ALL of my love. :) Good riddance Goodreads!
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
Yup, totally agree. If it gets much worse not even my friends will make it worth sticking around over there.
Kindle Euphoria 11 years ago
I know some girls who's reviews and ratings were being deleted and removed before they'd even heard of booklikes. So, that should say something about GR.
Litchick's Hit List 11 years ago
I do too. Those lying bastards.