Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 9 years ago
Lol, I was obsessed with those movies too. But I guess biographies of Sissi are a little harder to come by in New Zealand, so I didn't get inundated with them like you did. And that video with that soundtrack is hysterical :)

Now I have to go hunt the tv listings and see if it's on over christmas here (it was a couple of years ago, and I caught it then).

Looking forward to your re-read reviews!
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago
It just doesn't feel like christmas without Sissi (Der kleine Lord & Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel)
Sissi & Little Lord Fauntleroy -- and one of those serials, preferably Kidnapped or David Copperfield! (Plus Hercule Poirot's Christmas on DVD ...)

Nostalgia anybody?
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago
I'm more for Fairy Tale adaptions of all kinds. There are beautiful old ones, mostly from the GDR and UDSSR but a few years ago German TV started making new ones and they show 4 or 5 new ones each christmas. Some are a bit weird but some are really great.
Linda Hilton 9 years ago
Now you have me all intrigued, since I know far too little about central and eastern European history...........
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago
I guess her influence on the bigger picture of European history her influence was limited (she did a lot for Austrio-Hungarian relations which was important but not much beyond that) but she was a fascinating character.
I really only remember bits and pieces (she wrote poetry, travelled a lot, spoke many languages and was very obsessed with beauty and her own looks, especially her hair...it went so far that her maids had to hide all the hair that fell out during combing because she got so upset about every hair she lost...) so I'm looking forward to refreshing my memory with the re-read.
Sissi is such a big thing here that our comedians make fun of it lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MmHVNy57fo
Sissi, ich habe eine Idee. - Raus damit, Du Sau. XD
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago
Das kann man sogar laut singen *g*
mit Badesalz als der Teufel. genial!
Kate says 9 years ago
:-) the trailer-LOL. It used to be on tv sooo often when I was a child and of course I loved to watch it. Still do, the first part at least (hush hush) ;)
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago
yeah I also mostly rewatch the first one. The others only when I'm really bored...
Gecko's Corner 9 years ago
aaargh... no, I can't, I get the romantic feelings of the past, but prefer other stuff... that's just überkitsch. But I sent this video to my mother-in-law, Bavarian by choice (urgs) and she has some more of those "biographies". Sissi comes for me right next to Ludwig II, the old nutter.
Witty Little Knitter 9 years ago