Familiar Diversions 11 months ago
I'm tempted to saying "something new" because I prefer e-book covers that look like paper book covers, even for my omnibus editions and box sets. However, a design like the one you've got in your post, with all three covers, would make it clearer what people are getting. (Yes, you'd think having "box set" in the title would do that, but judging by some Amazon reviews I've seen people don't always pay close attention to what they're buying.)
Tannat 11 months ago
I'd be inclined to say something that incorporated all three covers like you have here, just because for ebooks it can sometimes be hard to determine what's in a "set" since you can't flip through in the same way as you would for a paper version. I'd suggest evening out the spacing and trying to incorporate some linking thread between the three and the set though. Perhaps try to make the central shape colour closer to the background of the books...
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
Hmmm - I like the cover in your post. Whatever cover you choose, just make it abundantly clear on the cover, that 3 books (and which ones) are included.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Thanks! I think I'm going to ask the person who designed the original covers to create something that ties in better, keeping the originals on it too.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Thanks for the examples! I like the 3D look as well, but I still need something to put as the 'front' of the box. I think I'm going to go ahead and see what the guy who did my covers can put together.
Tannat 11 months ago
The only disadvantage of the 3D-look is that it can reduce legibility of what the cover says...and I've never found the downward writing as intuitive to read as upward and that's the English publishers' standard.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
That's true. I'm going to see what both options look like, I think.
Excellent plan!
I agree with Carpe
Olga Godim 11 months ago
If it is on amazon, a thumb-sized image, it would be hard to see the smaller 3 covers on the bottom. Maybe it would be better to have a new cover that is similar in style but includes all 3 novels. And the texts should reflect that instead of the one novel title.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
I'm with Olga. The product page and thumbnails on Amazon.com (and kindle device store) shouldn't be the one your post shows, not have one image with smaller thumbnails of the covers.

The ebook itself could have contain that image as the book cover. So I think it's still worth your while -- if not beyond your budget -- to have your artist do both that cover and an all-3-spines view one. Or even just snap a photo of a white box with the three print books showing the spines and one cover for Amazon/kindle-store product pages.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Alright, so I've added an image from the cover designer. Clearly, I need to at least have them put the books in the correct order, but I'm still undecided on everything else. I like the clarity of having the three covers displayed here, but I wonder if a different image would be better & use the spine views to indicate what's included. If I do that, what image should I have on this cover????

If I'm understanding the comments here correctly, I should use this within the MOBI file, but not as the display cover for Amazon. (That's something I would have to figure out how to do.)
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I also think I'd like the text a different color to set it apart from PPTQ.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Maybe use black for "Plantagenet Embers Trilogy"?
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
Blue - you haven't used blue yet.
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
Plantagenet Embers Trilogy (in blue)
Picture that matches the 3 other pictures
Kindle Box Set including
Book 1 - title
Book 2 - title
Book 3 - title
Author Name

Book 1-3 as writing, not book picture. Maybe move author name under main heading?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
If I go with the white rose cover, maybe white for the title text as well?
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
How many people choose historical fiction novels based on the cover alone?
Tannat 11 months ago
It attracts attention, and may put the person in a more favourable state of mind?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Probably not many buying based on cover alone. I would expect most people looking at this already have some interest in and knowledge of my books.
Tannat 11 months ago
I'm just shallow. And distracted by shiny and/or pretty things.
A good cover does indeed attract my attention - at least enough to take a longer look at the book.
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
Me too, but I still don't base my purchases on a cover.
Tannat 11 months ago
I'm not saying I base my purchases on the cover but I suspect a pretty cover may lead me to consider the book in a more favourable state of mind.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Option without covers added.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
This would go on the front of a 'box' with the spines showing the titles of the three included books.
Tannat 11 months ago
I'd still be inclined to add the titles of the books under Kindle box set (in fairly small print) just to be clear. Honestly, I like the design just on its own, especially with the roses.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
I hate the roses, they look too much like modern tea roses that weren't around during Tudor times. Maybe a spray of Gallica/Apothecary, Species or Alba roses (or even the very early Damask roses just barely being seen on the continent but not yet common in Britain) -- but not the modern tea rose, cabbage/centrifola rose (1700s), or any of the orientals that bred with damask, Gallica, Alba and rugosas to become modern roses.

Google "what does a gallica rose look like" and "what does an alba rose look like" then view all images for what I mean. When viewing all images, the majority are correct but a very few (hey, it's the crowdsourced internet) might be inaccurate.

Or use an adaptation of one of the depictions of the Tudor Rose badge Henry VII instituted. Made-up or not, that's far more accurate with the five pinnate petals (accurate for roses common to the period). Historcally, next came doubles and perfume roses (influence of Damask and centrifola oriental imports), ruffled and cabbage, -- with the teas and other moderns not really around until Victiruan times and not "common" in regular gardens except for rose society folk even then.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Sorry for soap box. But it's one of those things that once I started noticing on historical fiction/romance covers and blog posts that really stands out and annoys me. One of those once seen hard to make "unseen" things, There's a distinct fullness, sharper edge to tea rose petals in how they curl/bud and definitely not pinnate or flat, single level.

Admittedly, I keep a rose garden and much prefer the fragrance of old roses, wild rugosas and even newer damask roses to moderns (in addition to their being more responsive to organic techniques and more resistant to local pests and humidity/damp issues like molds and blights).
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
The five petals of roses during Tudor times weren't as perfectly even or as perfectly spaced as badges, carvings, artwork and heraldry depicted of course (not even as similar as the petals of something like a daisy). More randomly sized and spaced, even sometimes with one or more petals laying partly over another. But definitely not the tea rose.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Thanks! I know nothing about different types of roses & had just told them 'climbing white roses' so that's my fault.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
LOL, it just hit a pet peeve of mine—which doesn't mean I'm correct in terms of marketing and what would appeal to potential readers. But, the five-petal rose graphics so often depicted really aren't just symbolic and have a botanical basis.
Tannat 11 months ago
I am also unfamiliar with roses, but I'll admit I made a comment about the rosary on one of Samantha's covers, so you're not alone in noticing stuff, Debbie.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
While possibly inaccurate for Margaret's book, a depiction of the red and white Tudor rose would at least scream of the time period to potential buyers. Very recognizable in a way a depiction of the plantagenet plant might not be -- but, also possibly too overused?

@Tannat, yes, the rose-looking beads on the rosary are unlikely accurate to the period where rosary came from "rosarium" (meaning "anthology of" or "set of" something like a set of prayers) rather than anything to do with roses. Beads back then in general -- and rosaries being considered counting beads -- weren't the lampwork and shaped ones seen today even for nobility who could also afford gemstones and precious metals in their rosaries. Beads literally made from dried roses were a thing after perfume roses became popular and were never sturdy enough for counting on.
Tannat 11 months ago
Eh, it wasn't the roses; it was the number of beads and their shapes.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Yes, I debated over having that sketch reworked, but that wasn't someone I have worked with on anything else. I just can't start counting beads or it bothers me!
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Technically, I'm not sure historically how early an exact number of beads/prayers was set or became common usage. (Somewhere on the internet no doubt there will be a record of when the Catholic Church officially set and of changes). But those bead shapes were still very wrong for the period.
Tannat 11 months ago
I looked into some examples and there were variations in the number of beads, but they also tended to be regular patterns, which this rosary was not. It still looks cool. I just have to remind myself not to make sense of it. And I still think the white roses here look cool, even though they're historically inaccurate.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
I like the looks of the white roses and greenery in with rest of the cover art; something white and green could work. It's just that those scream "not Plantagenet or Tudor times" to me in a way the white Alba rose, red Gallica rose or the fictional symbolic red/white Tudor rose wouldn't. The style of the white roses shown also works for me (and with the other bookcovers) -- just not those roses.

The color and style of the rosary on Mary's book works very well for me, too; just not the actual rosary with more modern beadwork.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Thanks for all your feedback! I have passed it on & will share the results once I have them.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Incidentally, the roses on the rosary I left purposely, choosing their symbolism over their historical accuracy, but the number of beads issue bothered me.
Tannat 11 months ago
I can accept their symbolism; I try to just ignore the numbers of beads...it's my own fault for trying to count them. And your covers do look very nice.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Thanks to you guys! I don't know what I would do without this group to bounce ideas off. :-)
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
I like the roses picture idea. :) I suppose "trilogy" should make it obvious that there are 3 books in the set.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I'm driving myself crazy trying to come up with an appropriate rose sketch to replace this one. I may see if I can have one drawn. Who knew the most difficult part of this project would be a cover image?!
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Potential inspiration on shapes/sprays/garlands including some period bookcovers http://donealrice.booklikes.com/post/1563820/roses-in-tudor-plantagenet-times ?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
New cover added. What do you think?
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
The newest is the top shown, right?

• I'm not sure about the purplish text
• I like the shape and color of the rose graphic
• It's still a modern-looking rose (to me). for all the side-view buds on the vine got flattened to look more like old world roses. The top view roses look like someone took the five petal-ed Tudor era rose and grafted a tea rose on top of it. That frankensteined rose is just weird; weird enough I'd rather see you just go for the modern roses and own the anachronism.
• Maybe change at least the middle rose to look more like the rose pictured on the emblem on "Plantagenet Princess, Tudor Queen"?
Tannat 11 months ago
The new roses do look a bit weird, although the green leaves with thorns look kinda neat. I think I'm with Debbie concerning the purple text. The green fit better. And I feel like your name should be a bit bigger.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
A different (darker/blacker/blue-er/indigo-er/sepia-tone-er) shade of purple could work. But that one is too "bright." More like bottom right two shades at https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/ba/a8/d1baa88368d4861fab91fb0e365e3c6a.jpg ? Sherlock, Muted Colors, Faded Rose, Shades of Lavender, first of Twilight Sparkle, first two of Downtown from http://www.color-hex.com/color-palettes/popular.php ?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
Yes, I told them I wanted a darker purple. I don't know what to do about the roses.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Just because I noticed roses doesn't really mean anything beyond "I noticed."
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm going to go with the new roses sketch, partly because it is unique & I don't like covers with stock photos, even if it's not exactly what I was looking for. The title is in the dark purple from Debbie's first link above, and I think that looks a lot better. I didn't want to use green again because I want it to be clearly differentiated from the first book. Now I have to decide when I want to make this available & where to price it. Thanks, everyone!
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
I'd suggest soon for summer, vacation, road trip, poolside and out-of-school reading.