Tannat 3 months ago
I'll wait until I see what Debbie says about the roses. Although I kind of like the thorns from #1 and I think #6 could make an interesting design.
Debbie's Spurts 3 months ago
LOL, I think that's what she meant on the red roses when she said but with "simpler roses" (aka old world roses instead of our modern ones). I responded back on the other post with a link to a temporary one I made at http://donealrice.booklikes.com/post/1563820/roses-in-tudor-plantagenet-times (temporary because it's for inspiration abd the images are not properly credited or necessarily public domain)
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 months ago
I like the swirly pattern of 2 and 3, but you need to put them horizontally. #6 is an interesting idea, but it doesn't match the rest of the book covers.
Carpe Librum 3 months ago
If I used 6 it would just be for the style of the roses for someone to create a garland of them. I like 2&3 a lot too.
Debbie's Spurts 3 months ago
I liked how the white color of the sample on your original post looked.

If you are planning more books in series/period, a more colorful, more complex graphic like the first one in this post might be good for working with future bookcovers in boxed sets (possibly with a smaller section showing on the trilogy boxed set and increasingly larger sections as you add books to series).

I didn't mean to pick at your white roses in the last post to jam up or complicate your process. When I noticed (rubbed my pet peeve the wrong way) , I debated saying anything except I thought if I noticed so might others. Nit-picky since so many thousands of authors get zero say on the bookcovers their publishers use ... I've seen really wrong bookcovers on some really great books.
Carpe Librum 3 months ago
I love the idea of using sections of an illuminated manuscript image for related book covers! I might steal that idea someday. Don't feel bad about pointing out things like this. I appreciate it & you always think of things that I wouldn't have come up with.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 months ago
What about keeping the white roses picture from the original post and just fixing the roses?
Carpe Librum 3 months ago
I don't have a way of editing it, but I think I can have a simple sketch made without too much trouble.
Tannat 3 months ago
Do you mean you personally don't have a way of editing it or that you don't own the rights to the image to edit it?
Carpe Librum 3 months ago
That's a good question. I know I do not know how to edit it, but I don't know if it's legal to. It's a stock photo the cover designer had.
Olga Godim 3 months ago
I like the ideas of ## 1 and 6. What do you think about this one: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/f1/3f/59f13f7f00bdb9ee29a6ab3a3bd187a6.jpg
Carpe Librum 3 months ago
I like the botany sketch style. That's what the flower on the cover of Faithful Traitor is. The Bourbon rose is not the same style as medieval roses though. I did find a few that would work that are sprigs like this, which would be fine if I was doing an image off to the side again, but I need something more like a garland in the middle of the cover this time. I'm going to see if I can call on any artist friends this weekend.
Debbie's Spurts 3 months ago
Yup, that one was bred in 1843 .