Tannat 11 months ago
I'll wait until I see what Debbie says about the roses. Although I kind of like the thorns from #1 and I think #6 could make an interesting design.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
LOL, I think that's what she meant on the red roses when she said but with "simpler roses" (aka old world roses instead of our modern ones). I responded back on the other post with a link to a temporary one I made at http://donealrice.booklikes.com/post/1563820/roses-in-tudor-plantagenet-times (temporary because it's for inspiration abd the images are not properly credited or necessarily public domain)
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
I like the swirly pattern of 2 and 3, but you need to put them horizontally. #6 is an interesting idea, but it doesn't match the rest of the book covers.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
If I used 6 it would just be for the style of the roses for someone to create a garland of them. I like 2&3 a lot too.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
I liked how the white color of the sample on your original post looked.

If you are planning more books in series/period, a more colorful, more complex graphic like the first one in this post might be good for working with future bookcovers in boxed sets (possibly with a smaller section showing on the trilogy boxed set and increasingly larger sections as you add books to series).

I didn't mean to pick at your white roses in the last post to jam up or complicate your process. When I noticed (rubbed my pet peeve the wrong way) , I debated saying anything except I thought if I noticed so might others. Nit-picky since so many thousands of authors get zero say on the bookcovers their publishers use ... I've seen really wrong bookcovers on some really great books.
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I love the idea of using sections of an illuminated manuscript image for related book covers! I might steal that idea someday. Don't feel bad about pointing out things like this. I appreciate it & you always think of things that I wouldn't have come up with.
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
What about keeping the white roses picture from the original post and just fixing the roses?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I don't have a way of editing it, but I think I can have a simple sketch made without too much trouble.
Tannat 11 months ago
Do you mean you personally don't have a way of editing it or that you don't own the rights to the image to edit it?
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
That's a good question. I know I do not know how to edit it, but I don't know if it's legal to. It's a stock photo the cover designer had.
Olga Godim 11 months ago
I like the ideas of ## 1 and 6. What do you think about this one: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/f1/3f/59f13f7f00bdb9ee29a6ab3a3bd187a6.jpg
Carpe Librum 11 months ago
I like the botany sketch style. That's what the flower on the cover of Faithful Traitor is. The Bourbon rose is not the same style as medieval roses though. I did find a few that would work that are sprigs like this, which would be fine if I was doing an image off to the side again, but I need something more like a garland in the middle of the cover this time. I'm going to see if I can call on any artist friends this weekend.
Debbie's Spurts 11 months ago
Yup, that one was bred in 1843 .