Drea's Book Fetish 5 years ago
Ceridwen 5 years ago
I'm seriously angry by this high-handed bullshit coming from Goodreads, and I'm even more angry about how the media keeps casting this issue as "oh, a bunch of Goodreaders made rape threats, so now they're getting their toys taken away." Wrong.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 5 years ago
This book is one example that GR don't address, and can't because it's one that people on both sides should agree on. Specifically because the crime concerns the audience the book is intended for. So of course this example is avoided like the plague.
Ceridwen 5 years ago
The number of books that were pulled-to-publish fanfic is another issue. That says nothing about author behavior. Pedophile is nice and inflammatory though.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 5 years ago
Here's something I keep meaning to ask about P2P. I wonder if, since the whole deletion thing seems to have been done with a faulty idea of what users would find acceptable, how many of the people making the list of deletions knew what P2P actually stands for in the book context. Someone may have thought P2P had something to do with file sharing and not paying for the book being reviewed. Which you could tell by the books on the shelf that's NOT what was going on - but we've also seen pretty clearly that some of the people flagging things aren't cluing in to what the shelf meaning actually is, and just assuming it's bad.
Ceridwen 5 years ago
According the the people affected, it was clear that they were talking about pulled-to-publish fanfic and not file-sharing. Either way, this goes right against Kara's assertion that "where we have decided to remove that shelf, we are confident that the shelf was being used in a way to review author behavior." This is hogwash. The "I know it when I see it" standard is in no way good enough, and they should just come out and say, "You can't note that the book is p2p fanfic".
Stewartry 5 years ago
Thanks for this, as for so much you've been doing.

My two cents: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/737213369
Ceridwen 5 years ago
Cool. I fear that all my shouting is not really getting me anything though, other than angry.
Stewartry 5 years ago
Might be not; their course (a steep downhill course) seems to be set. But shouting at least lets others know what's going on; I just had a friend send me a message thanking me for cluing her in.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 5 years ago
Unfortunately GR's continued silence on this makes it seem like they don't care, they're not changing. I sort of doubt it's that simple. Also the more content that's produced on the subject the more of a footprint it makes on the 'net.
Ceridwen 5 years ago
I hope so.
Stewartry 5 years ago
It's either keep yelling or roll over and let it be.
Ceridwen 5 years ago
Oh have they? I'll have to go take a look.