Derrolyn Anderson 9 years ago
I hate that I can't edit comments too, but you can delete and start over. If it's only a typo, I copy, delete, paste, fix & re-post. If it's something I think better of saying, or see a prior post that makes my comment redundant, I'll just delete it, although I'm sure it's lingering out there somewhere in the ether...
Booklikes keeps you honest, LOL.
Abandoned by user 9 years ago
I think that the sense that the period indicates curtness/being annoyed is hilarious because that is EXACTLY how I use it. When I add a period to, say, "Fine." as a response to some text of my husbands, like, say, "How is your day?" that is totally passive-aggressive punctuation to imply that, yes, I am still irritated with you for not cleaning out the cat box like you promised me you would three times over the weekend but instead you watched football for nineteen hours until your eyes started bleeding and now my house smells like cat urine dammit, and also, you need to pick up the damned drill off the floor next to the toilet because I'm not doing it for you.
Derrolyn Anderson 9 years ago
I've found that I'm now using a smiley face as end punctuation. I'm a grown-ass woman, and at first I thought it looked childish, but now it just seems disarming :)
Not winky face though - That's "nudge nudge, wink wink".
Derrolyn Anderson 9 years ago
I suppose context is everything. I wish I could post gifs here, because I just saw this:

Derrolyn Anderson 9 years ago
Argh! I hit return twice posting this! Anyway, I personally hit up the "grammar girl" site more times than I care to admit, but hey, I AM a product of the California public school system.
Book Addled 9 years ago
I read once that omitting words indicates a stronger likelihood for Alzheimer's later on. Given that I omit words all the time, that's a hell of a depressing thought. Regarding the subject at hand, I rather enjoy the challenge of keeping up with the various online punctuation nuances while the grammarlady side of me sees it as just one more sign the apocalypse i upon us :).
Derrolyn Anderson 9 years ago
Check out the "nun study":

I don't think anyone on this site has too much to worry about :)

Book Addled 9 years ago
I'm familiar with the study; the School Sisters of Notre Dame participated, and some of them were my colleagues - absolutely incredible women - intelligent and funny. Most of them have retired.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
Some of it is probably just general blogginess, I'm sure, not that that's necessarily a problem. I do miss out because I can't see a feed of comments either, which means I don't see when conversations are occurring. Maybe I'll put in a request.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
For no good reason at all, I find smileys grating and hardly ever use them. I mean, I don't mind when others use them, but I feel like I'm saying "no offense", which usually means "take offense" when I have the impulse to type it. I'm almost always being catty when I use lol.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
I could claim that was intentional!
Marianna 9 years ago
I wonder if the same thing is happening in other languages.
One difference I have noticed from texting and messaging with Russian people is that they use ")" or even ")))" in stead of ":)" or "lol".