I would think that it would be after the 's', and not before.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Wow.
On the other hand, I might have read far more of these then I ever dreamed. It was a bit frightening how many of the cover looked familiar. Before today, I would have said maybe ten. Yeah, they weren't really marketed for surprising or memorable.
Like Ceridwen, I think I was just too (way too; I think I'm older than you are, Ceridwen) old for both these and the Sweet Valley High books. (We devoured every Judy Blume book in existence, however. Also, god help us, Flowers in the Attic. Is my generation scarred for life? You be the judge!)
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
I never read SVH...ever. I discovered the Baby-Sitters' Club barely four months before I was too old for it, so it never meant all that much to me.
You know...I don't know that I've ever read a Judy Blume book. How did I miss her?
It would have been hard to miss Judy Blume in the second half of the 70s, that's for sure.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
I read the shit out of Flowers in the Attic, and the Cave Bear series, some Blume, all of L"Engle, etc, etc. Some of those were for adults, and some of them were for teens/tweens, but I think they were slightly different than the BSC or SWH. I never much went in for Nancy Drew or other mass serial series, which often worked to formula or changed writers, etc. VC Andrew has become posthumously one of these though.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
It was hard to miss Blume in the early 80s too. We really took Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret to heart in '84. What was the other one? The one who wrote the Ramona books? Cleary! We read a lot of those too.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Now I did read most of Nancy Drew and several of the Ramona books. I haven't read Cleary in years!
Bashara Likes Books 9 years ago
Oh this is great. Although I never got into this series (or SVT) I very distinctly remember reading other 80s paperbacks with this very distinct 'artistic' style. So great! My favorite is the boy with the too short gym shorts. Ha!
Ceridwen 9 years ago
I just cleaned out my boy's bookshelf, and I found a few of these crazy 80s covers in there. They really are distinctive! Especially the mom jeans everyone is wearing.
It was the style then!
Abandoned by user 9 years ago
Flowers in the Attic creeped me the hell out. I was a huge Trixie Belden fan, though.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
When I did my google searches to figure out pub dates, several people noted that there isn't a single non-white character for something like the first 20 SVH books. Pretty crazy.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
Isn't there always a Veronica? She's evil though, obvs.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
I can't really remember myself. Blondes = the best!
Sparrow 9 years ago
I have been wondering about this punctuation a lot lately because I've seen it done differently. Like, we have Veterans Treatment Court, but it's the District Attorney's Office. I have to write Veterans Court all the time, so the way I've justified it is that it is a court full of veterans, not a court owned by veterans. Like a ball pit, not a balls' pit. I may only be justifying, but I am also strictly trained to be paranoid about writing names different than their legal registration, so I have to grab onto something.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
I can see it both ways. I almost think that punctuation should be dropped in titles like this. Like signs for businesses: aren't those not supposed to have apostrophes?
Sparrow 9 years ago
Oh I get you. But that's just a mistake in the blog title, right? I don't see the apostrophe in the actual books. Am I being blind?
Ceridwen 9 years ago
Yeah, I think it's just a mistake; the books don't seem to have an apostrophe. There is that pesky hyphen, but if you're going to make babysitters two words, it's probably fair to add it.
Sparrow 9 years ago
Otherwise people might think you mean babies who sit.
Sparrow 9 years ago
Also, I totally want Claudia's cowboy boots from #1 and Stacey's beach attire.
Ceridwen 9 years ago
And Claudia's tuxedo outfit is killer.
Sparrow 9 years ago
I could totally see you in that.