Tackling Mt. TBR 9 years ago
I totally understand how you feel! I'm currently reading Sarah Mayberry's Satisfaction which I'm enjoying quite a bit, but I'm not super far along yet.
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
I like Sarah Mayberry, but I DNF'd the last one of hers that I started, The Other Side of Us. I got about 40 pages into and just couldn't bring myself to pick it up again.
Tackling Mt. TBR 9 years ago
I have that book, but haven't read it yet. So far I've enjoyed all of the books that I've read by her, but she has a rather large backlist so there are bound to be some duds in there.
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
Yeah, the Julie James and the Meredith Duran are not new releases, the others are pretty new-ish. Julie James is hit or miss for me, and the ones that miss tend to be the ones where she talks a lot about the lawyer stuff, because (as a lawyer myself) I find her portrayal of lawyers to be about as realistic as Ally McBeal or Boston Legal.

I'm sorry you're having a reading slump, too: may it pass quickly!
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
Now you mention it, I can't really think of one, either. Boo.
TeaStitchRead 9 years ago
And this is why I don't read military romances -- the sheer amount of SEALs, Black Ops, Special Ops, ace pilotes, etc is so unrealistic it is cartoonish to me.
TeaStitchRead 9 years ago
I felt that way about NR's Boonsboro Inn trilogy, so much so that I chose to not read the book after so many "meh" reviews from fans. I am not in any hurry to read her new paranormal trilogy either., but will probably borrow it from the library if I do read it.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any of the new authors I am trying.
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
I've actually read very little Nora Roberts: just the Chesapeake Bay Trilogy (it's called a trilogy, but then she wrote a fourth one). I'm intimidated by the sheer volume of her backlist. Where to start?
TeaStitchRead 9 years ago
Stick to the NR stand alones, her trilogies lately seem all the same. I re-read Public Secrets at least once a year, more if I am in a slump. I also re-read River's End.
Debbie's Spurts 9 years ago
Don't read too many Nora Roberts trilogies back to back that have sisters as main characters. There's just, while I do still enjoy, so much of a formula there with each sister having own book with predictable HEA romances with an equivalent number of male brothers, best friends, etc.
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
Oh, I totally agree about military romances: very cartoonish. I think SEAL, Black Ops, Special Forces etc. are just codewords lazy authors use to say, "This is a Commitment Phobic, Alpha Hero," rather than actually bothering to develop the character's unique traits.
Tackling Mt. TBR 9 years ago
It bothers me that every military romance has to involve a Navy SEAL or something. As if the men that serve that aren't in this elite category are not worthy of hero status.
Debbie's Spurts 9 years ago
"Dukes, billionaires, SEALs. Every subgenre is on steroids at the moment" — amen.
Reading slumps are the worst, especially when it's books you were anticipating. I usually go a different route when I'm in one and go back to re-read some favorites to recapture the magic. Connie Brockway, Marsha Canham, and Paulina Simmons (Bronze Horseman series) are a couple go to for me if you haven't read any of their stuff.
Heidi Hart 9 years ago
I have one by Connie Brockway on my kindle TBR -- maybe I'll put that near the top of the list. Thanks for the tip!