Rane Aria 2 weeks ago
sometimes you just don't want to read something depressing (i'm hiding in my cozy feel good books myself of late)
I agree completely. I read for entertainment, not be depressed. I love cozy mysteries!
Hol 2 weeks ago
Steinbeck is fantastic, but I agree, totally depressing.
That was my assessment in my short time reading him. lol Great writer.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
What Hol said. Steinbeck is brilliant but his best-known books are quite sad.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
We had to read "The Pearl" in 8th grade. I was never so depressed as when I finished it, and I have hated bad-ending books ever since.

Then we had to read "The Old Man and the Sea" in freshman English, as well as "Romeo and Juliet." MORE DEPRESSION. I don't think teens should be forced to read that crap -- yeah, I know, classics shmassics -- without something to balance the "life's a bitch and then you die" bullshit.
I have often said the books they made us read in high school must have a direct correlation to teen depression. I still remember reading Bless the Beast and the Children and looking at my teacher like Why???????? then Lord of the Flies, Romeo and Juliet, Tale of Two Cities - seriously? all sad
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
We never had to read Bless the Beasts & Children or Lord of the Flies, and for that much at least I'm grateful. "Flowers for Algernon" was another downer we had to read. Given all the emotional trauma teens are already going through, I think forcing them to read nothing but depressing litt-rah-choor is the equivalent of psychological abuse.
Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
I really don't understand the book selection thought process for schools. There are plenty of well-written books that have uplifting or fun or humorous stories.
Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
All I've read of Steinbeck is Of Mice & Men, which I LOVED. but yeah, it's a downer, too.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
I've heard "The Grapes of Wrath" is a barrel of laughs.
Hol 2 weeks ago
@Linda Ha! It is definitely. 'a barrel of laughs,' alright!
Yeah I'm not even gonna try. lol I did read Of Mice and Men! it was terribly sad!
Obsidian Blue 2 weeks ago
I loved this one, but yes it's depressing.
I went to wiki to read the rest of the story to see what I missed out on and confirmed for myself I made the right decision. I wouldn't put anyone off reading it - it's too well written for that. I think I'm sensitive to sad books.
Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
I don't have anything against sad books, but not a steady diet of them, and I have to be in the right mood for it.
JL's Bibliomania 2 weeks ago
East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck, though read 20+ years ago and not since. I agree with putting it aside now, but hope you leave the door open to returning to it at some later date.
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
I haven't read 'East of Eden' but do have hazy memories of the TV adaptation starring Jane Seymour, Bruce Boxleitner and Timothy Bottoms. I mainly recall Seymour's character being a truly horrible human being. Yep, a quick peek at wiki confirms Cathy/Kate is a sociopath. I guess I'll nix the idea of listening to this one on audio and stick to cheerier classics like Harding or Dickens. ;)

Either I've blotted out all the depressing books required for high school English or I was lucky. Some of the books I remember reading were 'Rebecca', 'The Hobbit', 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' and 'Black Like Me'.
You got to read "The Hobbit" in school? Wow.
Portable Magic 1 week ago
That was my first thought. What a lucky duck! I was stuck with Young Goodman Brown and The Scarlett Letter, etc. Although we did get to read The Once and Future King,which was fun.
Linda Hilton 1 week ago
I forgot about the Scarlet Letter. We had to read that one, too, but I never actually did. By then I was so sick of bad-ending books that I couldn't get through it. The same for The Return of the Native. I just couldn't deal with it any more. Years later, I rediscovered both and enjoyed them because they didn't have TOTALLY bummer endings.
Person Of Interest 1 week ago
Yes, indeed we did. Miss Ward's sophomore English class. Miss. Ward was no spring chicken, either, so clearly she had hidden depths. :)
Teachers with hidden depths of the "no spring chicken" variety are the best -- often, anyway. Had a few of those, too. "The Hobbit" still didn't make our curriculum ... (though, OTOH, French chansons did).