Comments: 6
Hol 7 months ago
I'm going to start the first disc world novel soon. Did you like that one?
Tannat 7 months ago
I know you didn't ask me but I'm going to put my two cents in. When I first read Colour of Magic (the first Discworld), I didn't really like it, but that was after having recently read later Discworld books and in that sense it didn't really hold up. When I reread it without having read later Discworld recently, I liked it a lot more. It's probably key to remember that it was basically written in response to series like Conan and other popular fantasy series of the early 80s.
Hol 7 months ago
Thank you for chipping in, Tannat. I'll remember that when I read it. Have you read most of them then?
Tannat 7 months ago
Yeah, I've read almost all of the Discworld. I'm a total Pratchett geek. :)
Saturdays in Books 7 months ago
I agree with Tannat and would add that both Pratchett's skills and Discworld as a setting matured with later books. Discoworld is also neat in that you easily skip one that isn't interesting without impacting the enjoyment of others. There are some chronological sequences, which I usually ask my spouse about before reading one as he's read almost every Discworld book. I would recommend against the BBC miniseries version of Color of Magic, though. The book is much better. I'm not even sure the miniseries is coherent if you haven't read the book.
Tannat 7 months ago
Even on the chronological sequences, I'd say you can still get away with reading out of order since the story will still make sense. You just may not get all of the jokes. But jokes in Discworld generally have layers to them anyway.