Scarlet's Web 2 years ago
My mum always used to have a batch of kombucha on the go. I remember well the smell and taste of it, not had any in years. It's an amazing process to watch and it looks rather disgusting but it's so good for you.
Derrolyn Anderson 2 years ago
I've heard a lot of great things - hopefully my first batch turns out okay. *fingers crossed*
Scarlet's Web 2 years ago
It's really easy to make and you really can't go wrong. Long as you make sure to clean everything with vinegar etc. Did you make your mother culture or buy a dehydrated one?
Derrolyn Anderson 2 years ago
I ordered a live scoby from someone on etsy that isn't too far away. It arrived in a zip-lock bag with some tea. It seems to have survived a couple of days in the mail, and I see a film on top of my tea mix, so...
Yeah, the "add one cup sugar" means it's a "no" here. Sounds interesting, though.
Scarlet's Web 2 years ago
The scoby actually eats the sugar, so the longer you leave it the less sugar is actually in it.
Well, I'm not allowed alcohol, either.
Derrolyn Anderson 2 years ago
Yeah! I just got a store bought one and it must have had some major secondary fermentation because it was very carbonated and vinegary- not sweet at all. I think I drank too much, because UPSET STOMACH. I still have high hopes for my home brew tho.
I've been listening to lectures here : http://evolutionofmedicinesummit.com/schedule/ all week long and I'm determined to get some more probiotics in my diet. Next stop : Homemade sauerkraut.
Please give us an update on how it turns out
Derrolyn Anderson 2 years ago
If all goes well I should know in a week or so. :)
Derrolyn Anderson 2 years ago
Victory - It came out great! Tastes like tea with lemon.
It grew a new baby scoby and I started my second batch with both mama and baby. :)
Congrats on it working!! Obviously since you are brewing a second batch you feel its worth the effort.
That's great, Derrolyn.