Personally speaking, I don't know if these days I watch TV more than 3 hours a *week*. Certain shows I'll catch on marathon or I'll watch shows that I consider my favorites and must watches (i.e. "Revenge"), but I think I started cutting TV out to defer to reading or watching movies or DVD sets of TV shows when I have the chance.
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
This is me, too. I usually pick a couple of new shows to try out - and I never watch anything live. Actually, I'm trying to watch *more* television because it is more social with my husband & kids. I had pretty much quit watching anything other than Grimm. I've added Sleepy Hollow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to the t.v. rotation this season, and I think that we are going to do a marathon rewatch of Once Upon A Time together.
It's not TV that keeps me away from the books most nights! Most of the time, it's hanging out with my sister or talking to the boyfriend or going to the gym that prevents me from reading as much as I want.

Of course, hand in hand, I'm really feeling the need for a "me day" so I can catch up in some of my reading - I'll bet most of that 51% don't feel that way!
Jessica (HDB) 5 years ago
Bah, tv? Books are better than tv. They're shows you can cast yourselves, inside your own head ;).
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
Not to change the subject, but I was totally eyeballing that Brontes book over my lunch hour. Is it good? Worth reading?
Reflections 5 years ago
The book The Brontes: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker is really long and detailed, but I'm finding it fascinating. I wasn't much of a Bronte fan before but I'm reading Jane Eyre with new appreciation now. It covers the whole family, including the parents and brother, and gives examples of their early writings. Fortunately I have plenty of time to read because I canceled cable when my daughters left for college. I do watch some TV series via DVD on the weekend--as with Moonlight Reader it's a way of being social with my boyfriend.
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
Thank you! Sorry to hijack, but inquiring minds wanted to know. I'm planning a Bronte project for 2014, and this will definitely be on the list!
Reflections 5 years ago
If you're planning a Bronte project the book is a must for sure! It's taking me some time to get through it because I'm reading other books at the same time, but every time I come back to it I love it.
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
I'm actually writing up a post about it right now! It's one of my reading goals for 2014.
Helen, the Hermit 5 years ago
I'm no American, but I'm usually too busy on the internet for reading at home. (Shameful, I know.) I do most of my reading on the lunch break and I used to do it on the commute when I lived far away from the workplace.
Reflections 5 years ago
The internet is definitely more of a distraction vice for me than television.