Comments: 12
I know what you mean. I also have some sort of difficulty reading/watching comics o_O
Reflections 6 years ago
I was hoping I wasn't the only one!
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
I've head about this series but never tried it. Not sure if my library has it. I love graphic novels...but the squeamishness bothers me. Could you be a bit more specific? PM if it might spoil but I've been trying to decide if I should try this or not and no one I know has read it.
Reflections 6 years ago
I don't think the images would bother most people--there is a female villain with an armless human torso, spider-like legs and insect eyes. To see her scroll down this page: http://henchman4hire.com/2012/08/19/review-saga-volume-1/ Then there is a ghost who died stepping on a landmine so she's legless and her ghostly (not gory) entrails hang out. She was on that last page but also here: http://comicsalliance.com/saga-3-preview-comic/
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
Okay, no not too bad. I've dealt with worse in Inuyasha. The art looks amazing...though from the few pages I've sen the I think I can get what you said about scattered. Read enough graphic novels/manga you get used to it, but it can be frustrating. Thanks for answering! I think I'll give it a try.
Reflections 6 years ago
I'm better at reading scary stuff than looking at it.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
The creep factor is SO hard to explain to people when you're trying to tell them what you do/don't like! I'm someone who has the odd skull and bat in my home decor (in the workplace you'd not know that by looking at me, though I might have a Godzilla on my desk at the very least), and I read certain types of ghost and horror stories, watch some scary movies - except I can't do uber gore and torture, and feel awful if there are buckets of blood. So I totally get the idea that some kinds of monsters/images get an ok, but others are just, no.

After you described those images - yeah, those would bother me. Even the description made me squirm a bit. But then sometimes an image can sound fine in words and the artwork - well, that can make all the difference. Which is a sort of praise of the artist.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
That's why the links to the sites helped. Drawn other ways, I couldn't take them. Yeah, gore is full out for me.
Olga Godim 6 years ago
I don't get graphic novels either. They require a different attention distribution than I'm used to while reading, so the pleasure is mostly gone. Besides I like good language, which is mostly absent from graphic novels, even the best ones. I tried - at the urging of my son - but never understood the attraction.
Reflections 6 years ago
I'm happy to hear it's the same for you! Graphic novels are work more work than pleasure for me
bookaneer 6 years ago
I think it's the same for me as well... not sure why, considering how much I enjoy seeing fanart.