Derrolyn Anderson 3 years ago
How frustrating to be kept waiting for so long! I self published because I realized I'd rather query bloggers for reviews than literary agents for the time of day. I use a proofreader and I format my own work. I don't bother with paper copies at all.

I'm operating on the "better mousetrap" principle. I know that my work is equal to lots of things being put out by major publishing houses but I have yet to be "discovered".

Try not to be discouraged and above all, keep writing. Personally, I'm going to keep at it until I'm an overnight success, LOL.
Rolli (guest) 3 years ago
My experience with The Rights Factory has been just the opposite. I signed with Olga a little over a year ago, and she just recently sold the rights to my first MG novel to House of Anansi/Groundwood - in a very nice deal indeed: http://www.quillandquire.com/omni/deals-groundwood-acquires-middle-grade-illustrated-novel-by-rolli-foreign-rights-sold-for-neil-smiths-debut-novel-and-more/

Submitting to publishers/receiving replies is by nature a VERY slow process, and one can't do handstands and cartwheels simply because one didn't receive instant replies/results. It's unprofessional client behavior.
Kaia 3 years ago
Well, aren't you lucky? She threw your manuscript at some editors, and it stuck. However, it doesn't seem like you bothered to read my post at all. Not once did I complain about not getting "instant" replies/results. I went weeks and at times months without hearing from Olga herself.

Meanwhile, *she* is the one that told *me* how long it took her generally to hear back from editors, and 5+ months was never an amount of time that came up. The longest time she gave me was two months.

Of course, none of that erases the fact that a) she was almost never timely in her responses and b) that she was shotgun submitting to what turned into 50 editors at once, which is extremely unprofessional and generally considered red flag behavior by industry experts.

A very few of TRF's clients get their manuscripts sold; most of them end up like me. If you're happy with someone who takes weeks to reply and isn't honest with you, that's your choice. I want someone who has actual standing in the industry, and I have it on good authority that this is the behavior of agents who don't.
The Fangirl 3 years ago
@Rolli Your success does not negate or disprove Kaia's experience. Commenting here in this way is not only rude and condescending, but highly suspicious and only makes you AND TRF look worse.
If there is this much disparity in how one editor treats two of her clients displays inconsistency and a extreme lack of professionalism. Your presence here in this thread only serves to further legitimize Kaia's statement and reenforces the fact that TRF is not the agency for me or any of my friends.

Thanks for proving her right.
Guest (guest) 3 years ago
@ Rolli: A more detailed and less drive-by response about your experiences with Olga might have been very interesting. Kaia's post and the Absolute Write thread have certainly made me curious about The Rights Factory's happy clients.
KindleRomance 3 years ago
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I hope sharing your story helps others avoid the same nightmare.
billypayne (guest) 3 years ago
Hi Kaia, I had the same thing happen. Send me an email at billypayne@aol.com and I'll tell you more about it.
I'm so sorry for your horrible experience. i can't begin to imagine how you must feel, but you have all my sympathy, positive thoughts and creative vibes going your way.
JamesR (guest) 3 years ago
Why is it rude and condescending for Rolli to defend his agent?
The Fangirl 3 years ago
@JamesR (aka sockpuppet)
Even if this was the appropriate space for Rolli to "defend" his agent, his tone is condescending and presumptuous. Kaia's experience is just as valid as his, coming into her personal site to try to contradict her account presumes his experience is more valuable than her own. Bullshit.

JamesR (guest) 3 years ago
Sockpuppet? Sheesh I'm sorry I asked lol...You wouldn't be making presumptions about me would you? I'm not questioning Kaia's account, nor am I defending the agent. But I think it's very telling that you all reject Rolli's positive experience so vehemently.
The Fangirl 3 years ago
Oh shush, JamesR. The adults are talking. Go crawl back under the rock you came from and let us get some real work done. Bye.
Guest (guest) 3 years ago
I hope you (Kaia and billypayne) are reporting your experiences to both Preditors & Editors and Author Beware. P&E doesn't show any problems with The Rights Factory as an agency or with any of its individual agents.

It's a shame both of you had such awful experiences. After reading the Absolute Write thread, I've been wondering how this agency makes enough money to stay in business. An occasional "really nice deal" doesn't seem like much to keep going on.
Guest (guest) 3 years ago
Writer Beware, I mean! Fingers moving faster than the brain, I guess. :-)
Dawna (guest) 1 year ago
just read your account, and am sorry to hear you went through such an ordeal. I am working with Ali MacDonald RIGHT NOW! My debut novel, A Yarn of Bone and Paper, needs some TLC. Will let you know how its going....just go to: Facebook: A Yarn of Bone & Paper, to hear updates on how the relationship goes.

Kaia,

having had a few short stories published (and many rejected), I wasn't too surprised at the length of time it took your agent to get back to you, the number of places the manuscript was submitted to etc., etc.

Even for short stories, publishing seems to take one heck of a long time to get anything published. Even for a short story, it can often take a year from acceptance to come out in some magazine. And getting that acceptance/rejection letter likewise can take a long time.

And one thing to keep in mind, even though you managed to get an agent (which puts you a step above a lot of other writers), you still aren't on top of the heap. So the editor will 'get around to' reading your ms at some point. And yes you can argue that your agent ought to be able to make the editor so enthusiastic, he/she can't wait to tear open your ms and read it. In reality, publishers, like literary agents, have proverbial thousands knocking on their doors.

As for the 'unprofessional' mass submitting of manuscripts and the long list of clients the woman is juggling, she is probably not a 'Tier 1' agent. But we all have to start somewhere. (The agent and you.)

Too bad they gave you the song-and-dance about having all this personal attention. It probably would have been better if they had given you realistic expectations up front.

The best advice I heard about submitting stories (or ms) is submit them and then forget about them and get on with your writing. If after a decent length of time (I always used the "Times Two" rule when looking at magazine response times) you haven't heard anything, you can inquire what's going on.

But remember, everything in publishing takes much, much, much longer than you think it should.
Moi (guest) 7 months ago
Thanks for posting this. I was just about to sub to them when I decided to Google beforehand and came across your blog entry. Sounds like an exhausting ordeal.