susanylee 10 years ago
I've never read anything by Isa K. But I've wanted to. She's in our NY readers/writers group and she's snarky and sharp in real life. What's her writing style like?
KatieMc 10 years ago
I would call her writing style thinky (in a good way). There is lots of world building in Guttersnipe, and she manages to do much of it through Derek's inner dialog. Sample...

He thought his dramatics might disturb the all too confident posture of the lawyer. His condescension and calmness heckled Derek. Yes, Derek had been caught jerking off another factory worker after hours, which was far from the crime of the century and not really his finest performance either. To the lawyer, Derek supposed he looked like nothing more than a thoughtless amateur deviant, but that didn't mean he couldn't at least pretend to respect him.
KatieMc 10 years ago
I am really curious to read Condor which is a contemporary to see what her writing is like when she doesn't need to build a dystopian world where sex is outlawed.
Ami's Hoard 10 years ago
Oooh, there is an asexual character here?? The "Condor" is shelved as "my issue not yours" (AND KATE, SHUT UP, DON'T LAUGH, the universe is all right with us there!!") but I did enjoy couple of her hockey fiction :). Notice, hockey FICTION, not fan-fiction.

Dunno, maybe I should give this one a try just to check out an asexual character. I do have a challenge called "Out of My Comfort Zone", which is slated later this year ^^
Ami's Hoard 10 years ago
Yeah, that was my hunch too (about Guttersnipe). I'll take note on this title though :-)
KatieMc 10 years ago
Ami, this book has backstories for characters that you meet in Guttersnipe, I don't think it would make much sense as a standalone.