Portable Magic 2 years ago
That sounds like fun! But I'm a mood based reader, too, and limiting myself to short story collections, very short novels, and children's lit until I finish school in the fall, so I am just letting my mood pick the next book until then.
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
I've been reluctant to do reading Bingo games, and this has the potential to be even more limiting, so we'll see if I'm able to bring myself to do it. But it's been fun thinking up rules. :)
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Some BINGO games or squares are based on cover colors. Which drives me nuts when not a personal challenge ( the game moderator's idea of a named color and my idea don't always agree).
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
As in, you'd prefer having to choose a book that's green and the challenge asks for blue, or more like you think the cover of the book you've chosen to read is green but the game moderator doesn't?
Portable Magic 2 years ago
"Limiting" is right! I was doubtful I could do this at all, and the only way I could is using my GR export and doing a CTRL-F wordsearch, plus I had to (sort of) cheat by using "in" for one of the words. But I was able to pick up at least 10 books in a row from my "owned" TBR of ~225 books.
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
I have my entire physical book collection cataloged in LibraryThing, which allows users to drill down and just do title/author searches in their collections, so finding books with the right words wouldn't be a problem. As long as there were books with those words, and I was in the mood to read at least one of them at that moment. From the Heart would give me about 10 possibilities, at least one of which I might be interested in, so it might be a good start.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago

My next personal challenge will be just reorganizing shelves. (Unfortunately, I had been doing that on Leafmarks). I have some "want to reads" that really aren't any more, some stray things from no longer in use challenges or groups, shelves created on a lark to add amusingly to shelf clouds, shelves used to audition a new book site (would they object or remove my peer-to-peer computer networking books shelf called "P2P" like goodreads did?, what about BBA shelf names? Hormel, ...)

I have an ongoing challenge that's working for me still -- to read just enough opening pages of some figuratively mothballed books and downloaded samples to judge if ever going to be interested in reading the thing. A couple of pages before starting or buying a new book. If decided against, donate physical books and actually permanently delete from ereader lbraries/ clouds the ebook ones, Unfortunately, I was also tracking thise shelves over on Leafmarks *sigh*.
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
"Maybe you should space in some Manga, library books, etc. to avoid feeling "restricted.""

Definitely.

I wish I still had the reading speed and stamina I had in high school - I could finish a book a day back then, and still get all my homework done. I'm looking forward to at least giving this a shot, though.
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
That's another thing I'm not sure of. But my paper TBR is huge (currently about 1,000 books I've either never read or read years and years ago and want to reread and review), so who knows. I have books that would never work for this game, like Tigana, but lots of others that might.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Oh, I love the sound of this, except I'm a mood reader too. But really, the fun would be in just seeing how far you could take it, right? If it's 2 books or 20, the fun (for me) would be just to see if I could do it. :)