deannahello 1 year ago
I just heard about this yesterday and was thinking I need to check it out.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
I decided to watch it after seeing a few AMVs featuring it, and so far I think it's wonderful. I have some quibbles about the artwork and animation, and I'm not yet convinced (despite one big moment in episode 7) that this series won't end up being a giant tease as far as Victor (Viktor?) and Yuri's relationship goes, but so far I'm really enjoying it. The skating is fun to watch, Yuri is adorable, and Viktor and many of the other characters are ridiculous in an entertaining way.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
And I should add that I love the series enough that I'm currently rewatching all the episodes on Funimation so I can see what the English dub is like. This is why I don't usually watch simulcasts - I hate the wait for new episodes to be available, lol.
deannahello 12 months ago
I binge watched the 8 available episodes last night. I've heard really good things about the English dub. I love the Russian Yuri. I'm definitely hooked. Id like to see Yuri and Victor end up together, but I think they'll leave it ambiguous.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
I haven't seen episode 8 yet because I'm not a Crunchyroll subscriber (although this series is making me consider getting a subscription again, despite my lingering bitterness over past issues I've had with the site and its customer service). I also only got to watch the first two episodes of the dub via Funimation, because I'm not a subscriber there, either. ::sigh::

Yeah, as much as it bums me to say it, I agree that they'll probably leave the relationship ambiguous. I saw people cheering the "on-screen kiss" and, after watching the episode, I've decided that my definition of "on-screen" isn't the same as everyone else's. But dang, Yuri has basically declared his love for Victor several times, this "ambiguity" stuff is painful.
deannahello 12 months ago
I'm mentally prepared for it to end without them officially together, but it's still really frustrating. I was actually unsure if they kissed. It kind of looked like they turned it into a hug.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
Same here, the position they ended up in totally said "hug" to me more than anything. Still, they're great. So many of the characters are. I like Russian Yuri too (so much adorable anger), and I'm kind of sad that Minami probably won't show up again. It was fun seeing Yuri through Minami's eyes - a good reminder that Yuri is actually the best skater in Japan, whatever he thinks of himself.
deannahello 12 months ago
Minami is super cute. You really think he won't be back? I loved when Yuri bought the tiger sweater. I think it's pretty hilarious that Yuri starts out thinking pork cutlet bowl is sexy.
deannahello 12 months ago
I'm not crazy about them calling Yuri piggy.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
Me either. Also, it bugged me that the first episode kept emphasizing his gut purely for giggles.

As far as Minami goes, maybe we'll get lucky and he'll get a cameo appearance as a Japanese audience member, but I don't think there's enough time to fit in more of him and also devote the proper amount of time to Yuri's current competitors and all their backstories/relationships.

And oh, so much secondhand embarrassment for the whole "pork cutlet bowls are my eros" thing. LOL! As for the tiger shirt part, I loved that it was Russian Yuri and Victor's addictions to Instagram that gave their locations away to everybody. :D
deannahello 12 months ago
I still think it's super cute I wonder if it will have more than I season.
Familiar Diversions 12 months ago
I hope so. It's been a while since I've been this hooked on and charmed by an anime series.