JL's Bibliomania 4 months ago
Shredded yellow squash works pretty well in zucchini bread recipes. It also worked well in this squash pie (that we had for dinner tonight) http://www.treatbelly.com/treatbelly/2017/6/5/squash-pie
Familiar Diversions 4 months ago
Good to know! Everything I looked at said that zucchini and yellow squash can be used interchangeably in recipes, so I figured it'd be okay. And that squash pie looks really good.
JL's Bibliomania 4 months ago
Yellow squash sometimes has a thicker skin and tougher seeds. But if you get the younger/smaller ones or remove harder seeds they can definitely be interchanged.

P.S. Feel free to PM me for ideas of what to do with produce. I've been participating in a "CSA" where I get a box of local produce for years, so I've got a pretty wide repertoire of recipes - though I also have pretty good luck with typing "Ingredient A Ingredient B [and sometimes Ingredient C] recipe" into my favorite search engine and then reading through the top 5 hits.
Sounds good except for the zucchini and yellow squash, it's the only veggies I dislike. LOL I grow them and give them out to my neighbors
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I love cucumber and dill salad. It so reminds me of summer food at my gran's. I love making this salad to (pretty much) the same recipe.

I recently fell in food love with zucchini/courgette in pasta: I used a peeler to make thin strips of zucchini/courgette then fried them with garlic, sundried tomatoes and sweetcorn, salt, pepper, a pinch of paprika. Then added some al dente tagliatelle (other pasta will work, I'm not a stickler for pasta etiquette), fresh basil, and stirred it all through for a couple of minutes. Very tasty! (This doesn't need a sauce, btw. The juice from the veg and oil from the sundried tomatoes will provide moisture.)

As for the squash, ... I would use it the same way as zucchini (if it is the same veg that I am thinking of).
Familiar Diversions 4 months ago
Ooh, this sounds good too.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Btw, for a Hungarian twist to the cucumber salad, add a garnish of a dollop of sour cream and hot paprika. :)