Moonlight Snowfall 5 years ago
Well, that sucks.
Bettie's Books 5 years ago
I just saw over on grrrramazon thread! I thought they were done with the ludicrosities but no...

Their loss, Linda; their loss.
I'm definitely surprised and appalled by this. So sorry to hear this, Linda, but I'm glad to see you in this community among others.
♥♥ you back!
Linda, I am so sorry! I am beyond upset about this! They should have been appreciative and thankful for all the free work you did helping them clean up the socks and gammers from the site. You have been SUCH an asset to that site, and did so much not only for users but also for the staff (although obviously they didn't appreciate it enough), and it is SUCH a loss. I will miss you greatly. I am glad I can still connect with you here.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
This is madness.
iola 5 years ago
Sorry to hear this, Linda. I couldn't believe it at first. On the plus side, it might encourage me to visit GR less often.
misfitandmom 5 years ago
I am so sad to hear this. You will be missed. A lot.
Angela 5 years ago
So sorry hear. Who will be next?
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 5 years ago
I can't even the words. Seriously, this is just mindboggling. They should have *hired* you, not this.
Stupid stupid stupid. When I think of all that work you did clearing out the review circles and all the other jerk stuff. Ugh. I am spitting mad about this.
Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
i wish I was surprised. I'm not. Their fuck-up. Their loss.
Ceridwen 5 years ago
Wait, what the hell just happened?
Chris' Fish Place 5 years ago
Shit. And damn. Stupid GR
Purr More Bark Less 5 years ago
Stoopid GR. Ta hell with 'em. I don't even bother updating my books there anymore. Sorry that happened to you but glad you are here.
Gregor Xane 5 years ago
I am saddened by this news. It was a rather foolish move on GR's part. Like a lot of authors, I guess they couldn't take the bad reviews?
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
:snort: That's a perfect way of putting it. I guess they didn't like that I put the books they pushed into the update feed on a shelf titled "special treat" -- "Treet" being the Armour version of Hormel's Spam.
Scarlet's Web 5 years ago
After all the work you did to help clean up all the rubbish on there, they go and do this instead of a thank you. What on earth were they thinking :/
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I always enjoyed your posts; you have a refreshing way of distilling an argument to its essence. I'll miss your bullshit detector on GR although my time spent there continues to dwindle...
Literary Ames 5 years ago
Linda, I may not have interacted with you much but I noticed and respected you as a voice of reason on GR and someone who cared enough to do their work for them. Their loss. GR just became a much shittier place.
ChrisHayton 5 years ago
Wow - GR has lost its integrity with this one. WTF
Lisa Henry 5 years ago
You will be missed over there.

I agree with Krazykiwi -- they should have hired you for all the work you did there clearing out the paid reviews.
KindleRomance 5 years ago
I agree with Krazykiwi too. Their loss. Glad you're here though:-)
Grey Warden 5 years ago
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was Much Ado About Sock Puppets.
Derrolyn Anderson 5 years ago
Wow. No warning. They really couldn't handle your brand of honesty, huh?
Linda, I'm so very sorry. This is horrible.
Miss M (guest) 5 years ago
Linda, even when I didn't agree with you, I always respected the way you handled yourself and how you dealt with all the GR bullshit. You fought a really good fight and this is so wrong.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
This is overwhelming. Do you mind if I go blubber for a while? I ♥♥♥♥♥ you all!
Love you back!
sarahsar 5 years ago
What idiocy. After everything you've done to clean up the place. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. It's very upsetting.
WTF?

Well, at least I'm in good company!
Ha ha, so am I!!! ♥

I'd say I'm shocked, but to be honest? I lost all trust in GR a while ago. And, no, not when I was banned, but later, when they started really going nuts. When they banned JennyJen might have been the final straw for me.

If anything, I'm shocked you lasted this long: you're honest to a fault, and not afraid of saying when things look hinky or stupid. GR has increasingly turned into a cheerleader for authors, and a manner in which Amazon sells books. Honesty doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with selling. (It can, but they don't necessarily go together.)

I've been number to them for a long time, and try to avoid even mentions of them. There was a WTF moment. A second of shock. But then it quickly settled that, duh, we're talking about GR here.

You're well loved here. And I've found I've been much happier since not worrying about whether or not I'm selling for authors, or Amazon, and just felt free to be myself and to be honest. I can be both on BL. I know you've had your issues with BL, but I do hope that we get to see more of you here now.

Anway, sorry. I'm kinda exhausted tonight, so took me a while to get my bearings, and put together something coherent. I hope the overwhelming was the outpouring of love for you and not sadness over GR. GR? Really hasn't been worth getting upset over for a while.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
Absolutely, Grim, the blubbering is over the totally unexpected outpouring of support.

And no, I'm not upset about the banning. Not even really all that surprised. I've been backing up a lot of my stuff from there on a regular basis in anticipation of something like this. I knew I was targeted last fall.

And I totally agree with you on the issue of everything being about selling Amazon product. I was not a team player in that regard. I not only didn't support the authors as a class, but I was vocal about it. Even the fiverr and sock puppet and CJRR (circle jerk review ring) activities were more welcome than I because they served to keep the warm fuzzy author-centric atmosphere humming along.

I think everyone knew the Amazon purchase of GR was going to change things for the worse. If I'd been in charge of GR, it would have been done a lot differently. But I wasn't in charge.

Obviously. ;-)
Obviously.

If you were in charge of GR, it would be awesome. 'Nuff said!

And I'm glad it's happy blubbering!
Linda,

I learned about your 'ban' from a feed from my GR friend Cphe. While you and I never really interacted on GR, I'm rather disturbed by GR banning you. Please know you have my support, as well as that of many other honest authors. I hope you'll fight it and won't let them get away with it without, at least, a real explanation. I'd like to know whom did GR side with.
Linda,

Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
With the spammers, the stalkers and the shriekers, Henry. Always and forever.
Sadly, there is a grain of truth in what you say. However, I'd like to know specifically who complained and what is their GR record vs Linda's. I know it only takes one 'idiot' to get a person removed (I almost got kicked out of a group) but when i questioned the mods they saw the light.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
As I said before, I'll have a long (probably reeeeeeally long) post about this tomorrow or the day after, but in all honesty I don't think it was any one particular infraction, shall we say, that brought this on. And if it was a complaint from just one person, well, I've pissed off many! Take your pick! ;-)

GR is part of Amazon, and Amazon is in the business of selling stuff. As I argued in the GR Feedback thread last week about the commercial in the update feeds: GR will do whatever Amazon wants them to do in order to sell books. Period. End of discussion.

What I posted there was, for the most part, not encouraging of sales, at least not in the short term. I pointed out badly written books. I urged people not to buy reviews (free content for GR, and the fiverr gigs did result in sales for Amazon). Though Alaskabeth might think I'm a johnny one note on the socks in frocks, I actually reported many, many, many fiverr reviews which were not socks, as well as authors who were rating their own books from several accounts, and a whole bunch of other sock puppets.

The problem is, I'm often more passionate than polite. When someone posted a "question" about the Kathleen Hale stalking episode and took Hale's side, suggesting that anyone who had poured three years of their life into a novel would feel the way she did, my response was a very blunt, "Stuff it. Sideways." The comment had well over 100 likes at the time of the banning. And since I only had something like 47 friends over there, there were a lot of other people who agreed with my sentiment.

But that's not how a big social media site likes things. They really don't like or want any kind of controversy. And when they are as big as GR/AMZ, they simply silence the dissenting voices.

The spammers, the stalkers, the shriekers, along with the whiners and beggars, sell books. Even if they only buy each other's books, they put money in Amazon's coffers. I not only wouldn't pimp the crappy books, but I didn't/don't have the money myself to be buying four or five books a day. I was reading and reviewing the free stuff, and most of it was crap. I wasn't making any money for GR.

And I wouldn't shut up. I was -- and still am -- an uppity woman. it gets me in trouble. And that's okay. ;-)
Lisa Henry 5 years ago
And this is exactly why honest reviews are so important. If GR and AMZ had their way, it'd only be five star reviews. Which is why I already don't trust community reviews on either site. I trust the opinions of friends whose tastes I know are similar to mine, and who aren't trying to sell me a pup.
isanythingopen 5 years ago
We love you Linda.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 5 years ago
Geez, this is ridiculous. I'd love to know their logic on this, but of course they'd never tell anyone. Sorry to hear this, Linda. Forums without you will be dull.
Hi Linda, we have never 'talked' before, but I always enjoyed your posts in the feedback over at GR. I am always astounded (even if I shouldn't be) when users who actually try to make the site easier to navigate, get rid of socks and spam etc are suddenly made to disappear.
I hope you'll enjoy Booklikes! And I look forward to reading your posts and reviews here, because now I'm following you, rather than just seeing your posts in a feedback forum.
ICU 5 years ago
Linda, You've always called a spade a spade and that's what I've always admired about you.
Derrolyn Anderson 5 years ago
You've always been braver than I am, you uppity woman you.

I decided that reviewing would only end badly for a writer, and I was right, but it's a pyrrhic victory.
I know I've been cowardly, but at least I got listed, so I can be proud of that, LOL.

Goodreads was getting boring anyways. Onward and upward.
G's musings 5 years ago
GR really made a stupid move. Linda, you really worked hard on trying to get rid of (reporting) those damned Fiverr reviews, and did more work then the GR staff did. I am so pissed right now. Sorry Linda.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
I suppose that from their POV it wasn't a stupid move, because I don't think they really wanted to remove the fiverr reviews. Remember, Amazon hasn't removed ANY of them. And they've been reported to Amazon. GR is no longer a site for readers, and as everyone says, even we writers are readers first. GR is now a site for sellers of books, and everything has to work toward that end. My contributions didn't help sell things. I was . . . disposable.
Hold your head high, Linda. You will move on and overcome. Fuck the GR. Fuck the Fiverrs. Fuck the STGRB spluge grubs.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
Well, that's exactly right, OR. And it's why I didn't waste any time last fall moving at least some of my records to both BL and LM. 99.7% of my book catalogue is intact on LM, and I even have a lot of the comment threads archived. It was easy to see the direction GR was headed.

I never gave two shits about the grubs anyway. I mean, seriously, what a joke was all that nonsense? "Oooh, she's scary! She writes mean reviews!" GMAFB.
ginmar 5 years ago
Those assholes.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
That's an insult to assholes.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
Oh, you're not alone, not at all! ;-)

Last September's purge surprised me, but as a result of that I knew this would happen eventually. So I was prepared for it. No crushed ego, no wailing and gnashing of teeth. Of course, I thought it meant I would spend less time on GR and actually get more done. HA! Now I'm spending all that time -- and even more! -- on BL and LM!

As they say, there's no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need it. ;-)
Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
i only stay for the groups. My book catalogue is here, my reviews are here, but many of my "groupies" have no idea what GR is doing.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
I think what GR is doing is purging the negatives in advance of the holiday shopping season. I expect you'll see even more fiverr reviews there as authors attempt to sell more books (even if the only people buying them are the fiverr shills, with the authors' own money) and as GR attempts to make its purchase by Amazon look like a profitable deal. They will end up just like Amazon, filled with fake reviews that no one will actually use to select books.
isanythingopen 5 years ago
A giant MOA.
Yes, yes, EXACTLY!
In2books 5 years ago
Sorry to hear you got banned. Do you know where you will be spending your time now BL or LM?
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
Both places, actually. My catalogue is more up to date at LM, but there's no blogging feature there. And I'm volunteering -- so far on a very limited basis due to time constraints -- as a librarian at LM. If indeed my day job comes to an end next month, which I'm 99% sure it will, I'll have more time for all this stuff, and my art as well. I'm going to learn more about Twitter and blogging and website building. . . .. . ............
Derrolyn Anderson 5 years ago
Boy did they miss a golden opportunity! GR should have hired you instead of banning you. Every time they lose an active honest member they are diminished.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
I don't work well in the corporate environment. I'm too much of a bitch. I have no patience with stupidity.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 years ago
I wanna follow you on twitter. What's your @?
Moonlight Snowfall 5 years ago
I wanna follow you on twitter. What's your @?
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
I'm not sure. . . . @LAWHilton, I think. I mean, I've only ever sent one tweet, cuz I still don't know exactly how it works, exactly. ;-)
Moonlight Snowfall 5 years ago
I found you & sent you a tweet. :)
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
So that means now I have to learn how to tweet back??? :rolls eyes in terror: ;-)
I sent you a tweet too! (Does that make me a stalker troll?) **worried look**
Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
That's why I work for the government. I didn't want to make widgets for a living (no offence to anyone who does, it just would not be a good fit for me!)
isanythingopen 5 years ago
I was giggling, thinking you really hated widgets since it posted three times, and my last comment did the same damn thing. That's what I get for laughing. : )
Linda, I am so, so sorry. I only just found out about this and am stunned. --Caroline
MaggieC70 5 years ago
GR has clearly become a cesspool of diminished intellects who natter on ad nauseam about Outlander and Game of Thrones, plus an appalling number of SPA books only a fiverr would love--at $5 a pop, of course. Being uppity myself, I've followed your lead, Linda, as well as Auntie J's, in writing short, snarky, and borderline nasty reviews of books that deserve such attention, cross-posting them on Amazon just for giggles. I will try harder to be even more brutally honest in your honor, until they come for me too, as I'm afraid they will for all those who challenge the open marketplace for schlock and stalking authors.

GR has lost not only credibility--and the last remnant of its good sense--by banning you, but also guaranteed that many other right-thinking folks will leave, voluntarily or not, middle finger extended in a universal gesture of good will.

I will miss your inspiration there, but will look for it here.
Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
i'm reading Dragonfly in Amber. I guess I'm a diminished intellect with three university degrees.
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
@SBSSM -- You and my daughter! ;-)

MaggieC70 5 years ago
i'm sorry for picking the wrong books to trash in order to make a point--just because they drive me crazy does not mean they affect others in the same way.
Sad Books Say So Much 5 years ago
I don't think it's fair to say that someone who is reading at their level is somehow "doing something wrong". I've read much deeper, darker books than the Outlander series. But even if I hadn't, the fact that I'm reading again after many years of not doing so is a victory. Someone else may only be capable of Fifty Shades of Grey. That's OK with me.
Not only that, I have books that I know are crap but hit all my kinks.

Just because someone loves one thing - maybe even with a passion - that isn't fantastic, or that you don't consider so, it doesn't mean anything about them. It doesn't mean they're vapid or stupid. Or not intellectual.

Seriously, anyone who wants to trash specific books - and everyone who read them - should probably take a look at all their favorites. What you adore, I may find trash. Or you may admit to yourself that you love something, even if it isn't as well produced as it could be.

Unless you only love all things that are well made. I do kinda hope you aren't living in a glass house when you suggest these are the wrong books to trash - although I did sense some trashing of people who read them.

Because most people have an Outlander/50 Shades/Britney/One Direction/whatever in their favorites - a show, a book, some music - that is clearly just pandering to the lowest common denominator.
pisceschick 5 years ago
I've got no words.:(
Sandi 5 years ago
So, being honest, intelligent, having integrity, erudite, = 'mean person'? Hail, mean person, Hail! May I follow you in all your incarnations!
Amara's Eden 5 years ago
I'd say I'm really going to miss seeing you at GR, Linda, but I hardly think I'm going to be spending much time there anymore. Time to officially move everything over to BookLikes and Leafmarks once and for all. If I didn't think GR staff had gone nuts before, I sure do now.
Martini 5 years ago
It seems I just found out why they really banned you: George W. Bush will be doing an author's Q&A in November/December, so maybe they wanted to keep you away from him as you are known to tell uncomfortable truths...
j/k ;)

I can only repeat what others have already said: Their loss, Linda!
Those bastages!!!
Linda, I just found out. (I've been offline for a while lately) I'd say unbelievable, but given GR's MO, it's not really. So glad you're still here, LM and on your blog.
XOX 5 years ago
Well, joined the club.
Renee750il 5 years ago
Just saw this, thanks to a post by Derrolyn. Asinine. Glad to know you're here, anyway!
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
ugh! I'm just finding out about this (unplugged for a while). Sucks. Ruins gr as anything other than Sockpuppet free for all and Amazon approved book promotional items.

A bit more options to groups here and on Leafmarks and I will have no use for a goodreads account (I confess that until Leafmarks and booklikes databases beef up and while some friends hang in I may peek at goodreads
Linda Hilton 5 years ago
I've been trying to work on LM database edits as I have time, because I think that's the only currently viable alternative.

BTW, I been wondering where you've been. Everything okay?
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
All okay. Just fiscal and year end work madness, family crap, an improving hand injury and a desire to unplug for a while to see what goodies and fixes booklikes, Leafmarks, and Fictfact might come up with while staying away from goodreads nastiness (*ack* so of course a brief checkin at goodreads has discussion blowups over your being banned instead of wonderful reader responsive features to reel me back in …)
Grey Warden 5 years ago
I just got added as a LM Librarian, so if anyone's got any titles they want added give me a holler.