Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Love that first quote.

I also hate how men have "interests" and valuable "collectibles" but women have "hobbies" and gewgaws/toys; that a man wth a day job who begins writing is pursuing a career or interest in writing but a woman writing is taking up a hobby ...
The Quilty Reader 2 years ago
I read something somewhere from someone once (that I sadly cannot cite, but is one of those statements that is so obvious once stated that it really cannot be controverted) who said that industries/careers/jobs which are historically male dominated lose both prestige and become less lucrative as women break into them.

I.e., when only men were "private secretaries" it was considered a legit career. When only men were nurses, same. See also: teachers.

The reality is that when women start doing something in large numbers, people stop thinking that it's so hard that they should continue to be paid with dollars delivered in wheelbarrows. Occupations in which women predominate are the least prestigious, and the least lucrative. This is because of sexism.

This probably explains a lot about why male writers - perhaps unconsciously - do not want to see women gaining a significant foothold. That always results in everyone making less money.
Linda Hilton 2 years ago
I believe it's called "empty field" theory, but I'm not positive.

I have, somewhere in my files/shelves, a study of how that applied to royalty payments for novels in the 1800s. I just can't remember the title off the top of my head.

And it also works in reverse: When men enter a field that was previously dominated by women, pay goes up. This happened with elementary school teachers when men, in part to avoid military service during the Vietnam war, became teachers.
The Quilty Reader 2 years ago
Teacher is one of those careers that was historically male dominated, where women made early strides, and then it reversed course. In addition, there is enhanced prestige in teaching an upper grade (i.e., high school biology teacher), where men are more common, than in the primary grades (i.e., first through third), where women predominate and are thought of as glorified baby sitters although they literally teach children how to decode the transmission of information and knowledge that is the foundation for all additional education and intellectual development.

As my aunt (a primary school teacher) once said: in the primary grades, children learn to read. For the rest of their lives, they read to learn. Reading is the foundation of everything that comes after. What the hell could be more important than that?
There are only a handful of jobs in which women are paid more than men are. Modelling is one of them.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Wet nurse? (*snicker*). Or surrogate?

Of course, so far, men are not either.
Linda Hilton 2 years ago
I think this is the book I was referring to (copied and pasted from my bibliographical records):
Tuchman, Gaye and Nina E. Fortin. Edging Women Out: Victorian Novelists, Publishers, and Social Change. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1989.