BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
What utterly crappy behaviour on her part. Ugh!

I have an acquaintance (a friend of a friend) who pulls similar stuff on people. I had only met her once at a party (briefly), but the second interaction we had was when she commanded me to give a lift home to a friend of hers, whom she had invited to another friend's party, who did not arrive at the party with me (I only met that friend at the party), whom no one else seems to have known, and who lived AN HOUR in the opposite way of where I and the two people I was giving a lift to were going.

I have no time for this kind of nonsense or for the people who create it.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
Ugh. I hate that business of asking someone else to give another person a ride. Maybe they just don't realize that sometimes it's simply not feasible? Or maybe they have no concept of how rude it is?

There was more to our conversation that related to membership in the local rock and gem club. I mentioned that I no longer belonged to that club because of internal politics, but that if she was looking to go on some rock hunting trips, she would probably enjoy it. She became very defensive about being a very positive person who never engages in gossip and didn't want to hear anything negative about anyone. I think everything about her rubbed me the wrong way because of that initial self-invitation, but I also have an instinctive reaction to those eternally positive people.

Maybe she's just one of those people who thinks everyone likes -- or will like -- her and that she's not imposing on them. I don't know. I just felt . . . . uncomfortable.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Linda, I would not have minded as much if she had actually asked. She didn't. Her words pretty much were "oh, and you need to give x a lift home, too." The friend whose party it was was not impressed by that either.

Your rock enthusiast sounds like someone who is not going to enrich your life.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
"Someone who is not going to enrich your life."

Oh, dear goddess, what a PERFECT description!!! ♥♥♥

I told her I was going to be at the local museum show this week-end and so maybe she will stop by. I just hope she doesn't try to monopolize my time, especially when I'm trying to interact with potential buyers. That's one reason why I always bring just ONE chair -- so I never have to invite someone to join me and visit!!!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
That is excellent planning re the single chair.

I hope she finds her own crowd to interact with.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
I almost had a disaster at one show, and that taught me the one-chair lesson.

For this particular show, I had brought two chairs, the folding kind that go in a fabric carrying tube. I used one for myself and had the second set aside in case a friend dropped by. As it happened, some friends DID stop to visit, and one of them was having some issues with his leg, so I offered the other chair. He sat for a while, I visited with his wife, and then they went on. It was only after I got home and was putting things away that I discovered MY chair had a very worn piece of webbing that was on the verge of breaking. I immediately checked the chair my friend's husband had used and it was even worse! To this day I consider it half a miracle that he didn't fall right through. I now have a different kind of chair and ONLY ONE.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yikes. That would have been awful. I'm glad nothing happened.
Wow. Boundary issues. I could relate to your post because I've been there. I have a friend who is like this. I've learned in the years I've known her that it's just how she is. I've found that we can have a degree of friendship because when she says "I'm coming over" I respond with I can't do things on short notice. I say I'm not comfortable when I'm not comfortable. I don't explain either. Why aren't you? is now met with because I'm not. I find my anger and annoyance comes more when I don't say anything and just do whatever it is. When I said yeah...uh...no. I get a little annoyed but can move on quicker.

Lapidary sounds fascinating btw.
Linda Hilton 2 weeks ago
Lapidary IS fascinating! ♥♥♥♥

In fact, I need to head over to the workshop and sort out some more rocks to take to this week-end's show. We've had two days of rainy weather, but the sun is out this morning. I'll select a few goodies to put out for sale, though I have to admit it's sometimes difficult to part with them.
I hope you enjoy your show! :)
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
Nope, you are not being mean.
Bark's Book Reviews 2 weeks ago
Some people just do not have a clue. No, you weren't being mean.
Your house, your rules. And I hate scammers too.
Scammers suck. You are not being mean.
I agree with everyone else.
Null 1 week ago
Five-year-olds might invite themselves over. (But of course, their smart parents would chuckle and proceed to have a "teaching moment" about etiquette!) People older than that, no. It's creepy.
Linda Hilton 1 week ago
Good point, good point.
charlton 1 week ago
Hey Linda,your're not being too mean you're acting like any normal person would.
Linda Hilton 1 week ago
Me?? Normal??? ARE YOU CRAZY???? ;-)