BrokenTune 6 years ago
Yes. Just, YES!!! "Compound words constructed by the writer on the spot, and not to be found in any dictionary" - they are so much fun, tho.
Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän ;)
There's another quote about compound words in this book:

"Some German words are so long that they have a perspective. Observe these examples:

Freundschaftsbezeigungen
Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten
Stadtverordnetenversammlungen

These things are not words, they are alphabetical processions. And they are not rare; one can open a German newspaper at any time and see them marching majestically across the page - and if he has any imagination he can see the banners and hear the music, too. They impart a martial thrill to the meekest subject. I take a great interest in these curiosities. Whenever I come across a good one, I stuff it and put it in my museum. In this way I have made quite a valuable collection. When I get duplicates, I exchange with other collectors, and thus increase the variety of my stock. Here are some specimens which I lately bought at an auction sale of the effects of a bankrupt bric-a-brac hunter:

Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlung
Altertumswissenschaften
Kinderbewahrungsanstalten
Unabhängigkeitserklärungen
Wiederherstellungsbestrebungen
Waffenstillstandsunterhandlungen

Of course when one of these grand mountain ranges goes stretching across the printed page, it adorns and ennobles that literary landscape — but at the same time it is a great distress to the new student, for it blocks up his way; he cannot crawl under it, or climb over it, or tunnel through it. So he resorts to the dictionary for help, but there is no help there."
BrokenTune 6 years ago
That is hilarious. Thanks for sharing. I may have to add "Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten" and "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän" to my favourites. :)
Martini 6 years ago
I'd like to see you using them in an ordinary conversation. :D
BrokenTune 6 years ago
That is the goal. I know, I'm easily amused.
Me too. ;)
Please tell me when you've managed to use them.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Well, it should be easy enough. I seem to encounter one of them on a daily basis. The other one might make a rather colourful insult.
Martini 6 years ago
Ah, so you're working in the steamship industry?
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Close enough. ;)
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 6 years ago
Swedish is great for these too, it has practically the same rules for compounding as German.

Kronofogdemyndigheten is probably my favourite swedish word, it's actually the swedish state owned collection service/bailiffs, so it's actually not fun for anyone to deal with. But it's so fun to say! I actually learnt to pronounce that before I could say mjölk (which means... milk).
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Hehe. That does sound like a fun word.
Martini 6 years ago
I really like words like this, Kiwi. Maybe I'll learn it by heart and use it as a swear word - nobody will know what it actually means anyway. :D

ETA: Great minds think alike, BT. ;)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
How is it pronounced, tho?
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 6 years ago
Throat Warbler Mangrove of course (ob Python!)

LOL, it's actually really easy, just how it looks (except y = ü, pretty much)

"That's not my name!" :D
Thanks for the link.
Witty Little Knitter 6 years ago
I just love that essay. He's so right XD
Martini 6 years ago
I love it, too, though I can not imagine how difficult it must be to learn German as a foreign language.
I've read it before in "Bummel durch Europa". In the current book there are only some quotes from the essay, but they made me re-read the whole thing.
Witty Little Knitter 6 years ago
yes...my first reaction to hearing that other people learn German (voluntarily) is...BUT WHY? XD
BrokenTune 6 years ago
haha....my first reaction is "you poor (but brave) thing", swiftly followed by a feeling of gratitude that I didn't have to learn it as a second language.
Exactly, you two! :D
On the other hand, I've learned Japanese (long time ago) voluntarily, so maybe I shouldn't judge anybody for their learning preferences...
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I tried that once, too. Did not get far with it, but it was fun trying. Do you still speak Japanese?
Martini 6 years ago
Ah, you too? I like that! :)
No, I've forgotten almost everything I learned. It was 20 years ago (and only for one year, two hours per week) and I never had the opportunity to actually speak it.
Do you still know anything of it?
Witty Little Knitter 6 years ago
Yeah...I have learned some Hebrew and study Russian so I'm also not in the best position to judge XD
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Nope. Not a word. I had a similar situation - one year, a couple of hours a week...only because I randomly entered a state competition for foreign language students and was dared by someone to pick Japanese. (Silly, I know.)
Martini 6 years ago
@WLK: Whoa, Hebrew and Russian? That's quite particular. Why these two?

@BT: Good to know that it's not only me. :D
From time to time I feel the urge to refresh what I've learned, but it always passes really quickly when I open the old textbook.
Witty Little Knitter 6 years ago
I am really fond of languages with strange characters as long as I don't have to learn that many XD
And well...Russian was a (voluntary) class at school and really at first I was mainly drawn to it because 'new letters are cool' and at uni I minored in Jewish studies (just because it sounded interesting and I needed a 2nd subject) and that requires learning Hebrew as well. But as it wasn't my main subject I didn't have to do much. I still know the alphabet and can ask how are you but basically that's it.
Martini 6 years ago
Really impressive! The only other language I've learned is French, and I have to admit that I am not very good at it.
Jenny Schwartz 6 years ago
First laugh of the day! :)
Martini 6 years ago
With a start like this, I hope that your whole day will be a happy one. :)
Jenny Schwartz 6 years ago
Thank you :) and same to you - for the whole weekend!
Thanks, Jenny :)