buchflimmern 3 years ago
Ha! I own exaclty the same copy of Rebecca, also without dust jacket ;) I've already read it (and enjoyed it immensely!), so I'll pass on the buddy read. The Road is one of my favourite books; I haven't read any other of McCarthy's work, but this is a terrific literary post-apocalyptic fiction read. Jo Walton is all over the internet right now, isn't she? Haven't read anything by her, though. I hope you'll enjoy your books and that they cheer you up!
Haha, unbelievable! :D
I'm really excited to see if I will be one of those who enjoy "The Road" or not. And yeah, Jo Walton seems to be on everyone's lips nowadays, but I trust the person who recommended her to me that it was not due to any hype.
buchflimmern 3 years ago
I didn't mean to imply that :)
Martini 3 years ago
I did not understand it that way. :)
I like Jo Walton, but don't think I've read that one.
Martini 3 years ago
Do you consider reading it?
Yes, I may well read it at some point; I think my local library has it.
Martini 3 years ago
I'm curious to read your review when you've read it.
I saw at Karstadt actual advent calendars made with little picture books in the pockets instead of candy. What a great idea! Although frankly I was more tempted by the Playmobil one...
Martini 3 years ago
I think I would have chosen the Playmobil one as well, I am no longer in the target audience for picture books. ;)
I would have gotten the book one for my little nephew, but neither would fit in my suitcase. Bought too much chocolate.
By the way, I loved Among Others even though I don't care for Walton in general.
Martini 3 years ago
That's good to know, at least I chose the right one.
I feel like it would appeal to most people who love reading.
Martini 3 years ago
That was exactly the reason why I chose this one.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Great selection from the calendar. I've read Rebecca but as it is one of my all-time favourites I might be up for a buddy read. If you allow re-readers, that is.
Martini 3 years ago
Thank you! And of course you're welcome to join if I can gather enough readers for a buddy read, no matter how often you have read it. :)
Lillelara 3 years ago
Oh wow, Rebecca, one of my all time favorites as well. It´s only been two years since my last re-read of the book so I think I will pass. But you are in for such a treat! Love this book.
Martini 3 years ago
I get the feeling that I am the only one who has not yet read it. :/
If you should change your mind about the buddy read, I'd be happy if you would join us.
Lillelara 3 years ago
I will consider it :). If I´m in the mood for it and my spare time allows it, I will definitely join you. It sure would be fun to have a buddy read with a first time offender ;D.
Martini 3 years ago
And the re-readers can place bets on my reactions to certain scenes... ;)
Would be very nice if you'd participate.
Lillelara 3 years ago
Well, okay then, count me in :). It's actually one of these books that I could read over and over again and I would still love it.
Yay! That's great! :)
I was thinking about January, perhaps February. Will do a separate post about it the next days to inform others who might have missed this one.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Same here - I keep being "enchanted" by it. Also, I like the sound of placing bets on Martini's reactions, although, I get the impression this is a Marmite book, so odds are difficult to calculate.
Lillelara 3 years ago
January or February is fine by me. I'm only working on a few Saturdays in the beginning of the year, so I'm having a lot of spare time on the weekends for reading purposes. Woohoo :D.
Maybe I'll read it then, too. I feel it may not be for me, but friends keep telling me to read it.
Martini 3 years ago
Oh, that would be so nice! :)
Let me know when you start!
Will do! :)
Lillelara 3 years ago
@BT: Ehm, what is a Marmite book? Is it a "either you love or hate it" book? I have never heard that term before.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
That's exactly it - you either love it or hate it.
Lillelara 3 years ago
Ha, I love the English language. They have a word for almost everything. Thanks for the clarification :).
Murder by Death 3 years ago
Thanks for asking Lillelara - I was wondering too. :)
Martini 3 years ago
Ha, I knew the possibility of placing bets would make this even more attractive. Good luck with those, you two! ;P