I was reading that young too, so no trouble believing that :D I've been making myself go through the tons of Kindle books I already own but haven't read yet, so I hear ya. Hope you pick one that you really enjoy!
Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
I keep telling myself I am going to work through my kindle before I work through my shelves. The problem is, I just don't enjoy reading on my kindle as much as a hard copy book. I don't know why. Certainly the kindle is more convenient for me. If I were to go back and compare ratings of kindle books to hard copy books, I would find that over all I rated the kindle books lower. Of course there could be other reasons. It's possible the books I have read on the kindle just aren't that good.
I have a similar problem. I don't mind reading Kindle books, but due to time issues I have trouble getting to books unless they're audiobooks these days.
I expect your lower ratings are probably due to both things. It's certainly true that there are a lot of mediocre (and worse) books being uploaded for Kindle these days. So that is probably at least a factor in some of them. Maybe give a pass to any you snagged for free, unless they really, really sound interesting. Put those at the bottom of the pile. Unread but were free isn't really any loss, and have a highly likelihood of being sub-par.
Murder by Death 7 months ago
I didn't enjoy reading ebooks as much either, but I read so many books, and it just made so much sense. Then medical issues arose and the doctor said no more e-reading (really, no electronics at all at night), and I have to admit, all I felt was relief. I now have a medical mandate to stick to paper books. And a huge space problem. Ah well, if it wasn't books taking up the space it would be something else that we really didn't need.
Tannat 7 months ago
I basically forced myself to get used to ebooks but it was difficult because I had to teach myself to read more linearly. I was too used to jumping back and forth on the page and flipping back to other sections. All that's basically impossible with an ebook. And I really don't have the space for physical books...
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Isn't that a fabulous problem to have, tho?
Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
It really is. What I should be doing is purging my shelf and getting rid of some of the books I have read that I know I'm not going to read again. There is a fabulous used bookstore nearby that offers awesome trade in deals. That doesn't exactly eliminate my lack of space problem.
I've been slowing getting rid of my physical books, and replacing those I do want to keep to e-books and/or audio instead. It really does help the space issue. (Well, when not getting others in exchange LOL)

Unfortunately it's slow going as I like to keep books I enjoyed, and I do re-read, so it's too expensive to do too many at once.
Tannat 7 months ago
My suggestion: Make of numbered list of all your unread books and use a random number generator to get a suggestion.
Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
I started to do that for a challenge in a group I'm in. I got to 100 on my shelves and stopped counting. I am so meticulous about making lists for nearly everything in my life, you would think I would have a spreadsheet of some kind somewhere with all of the books I own.
Bark's Book Reviews 7 months ago
Ahhh, bookworm problems. I say close your eyes and grab one!
Tannat 7 months ago
That works too. But then she has to decide where to stand....
Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
Yes! The fewer decisions I have to make the better! I'm kind of a bum right now.
Bark's Book Reviews 7 months ago
lol, whatever you pick and however you decide pick it, I hope it's great!
In that situation I would have a look at the unread books and just start reading whatever caught my eye.
Murder by Death 7 months ago
I've been known to grab a few, spread them out and tell my husband "pick one". Or, wait a few seconds and see which one a cat sits on, and go with that. :)
Tannat 7 months ago
I like the cat choice option. But for you, what if each cat sits on a book?
Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
Or you don't have a cat? Or your husband just says, "You know what you like to read better than I do"?
Murder by Death 7 months ago
@Tannat: First cat in, wins. :)

@Sorry: Dog? Child? To the husband I just say "point to one", so he knows he's not actually being asked to choose my next read based on anything other than random chance. I've also, on several occasions when I know I'm alone, resorted to "eeny meeny miney moe".
Elentarri's Book Blog 7 months ago
Choose the thinnest non-fiction and the thinnest fiction book you have. Then start reading them. If they work, Great! If not, next thinnest etc.

Sorry kids, no feet. 7 months ago
I picked a book. I remembered I'm doing a challenge for a group where I already randomized a list of book that I need to clear from my TBR. So I randomized the already random list and fortunately it is a book I own. However, I did get a message last night saying the books I ordered from the library are in. Hopefully they are my books and not the books my nine year old ordered.