Obsidian Blue 6 months ago
Huh I read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and I really can’t think of other ones.
Sorry kids, no feet. 6 months ago
She heard that Nancy Drew was popular when Grandma was her age. I think that was a deal breaker for her. I'm not letting anyone tell her the same thing is true of Trixie Belden.
Moonlight Snow 6 months ago
Does she know that there is a new series called Nancy Drew Girl Detective that started publication in 2002?
Obsidian Blue 6 months ago
I think the new ones are pretty popular.
Moonlight Snow 6 months ago
I am pretty sure that I bought a compilation for Cait in the remainder section of B&N about 15 years ago. She never got into them, though.
My Never Ending List 6 months ago
Cirque De Freak, Boxcar Children, Serafina books, Choose Your Own Adventure, Geronimo Stilton books, Nate the Great books, The Candymakers (series), The 39 Clues Series, A to Z Mysteries, Jigsaw Jones, Magic Treehouse,
Not sure what type of a reader your child is of what level they read at but here are some ideas of what I see kids reading or what is popular were I am a substitute teacher at. I have read quite a few of these too. This will give you a start. If you need more help, let me know.
Sorry kids, no feet. 6 months ago
She didn't like Magic Treehouse. I was really hoping those might be a go since there are so many of them. She's polished off the A to Z (and all of the other spin offs) and Jigsaw Jones in second grade. Seriously, she's been non-stop since she learned how to read in kindergarten.

I'm adding some of the other ones to the list.
My Never Ending List 6 months ago
What is her favorite mystery book? That would help me find her some more. That is awesome that she is whipping right through them. Has she read Cam Jansen, Betty Byers, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Mo & Dale Mysteries, Big Honey Dog Mysteries, or Sammy Keyes?
Sorry kids, no feet. 6 months ago
She is really liking the Trixie Belden books. I was hoping that would lead her to Nancy Drew. It might still. She really liked the historical American Girl books. I'm wondering if she will read the historical mysteries that are often shelved near by.

I think she dabbled in Cam Jansen at the beginning of the school year last year. She wasn't impressed. I think she found them a little easy. I always forget about the Unfortunate Event books. Those need to be added to the list.
Moonlight Snow 6 months ago
Nancy Drew was my other go to.

I'm not sure about how advanced she is as a reader, but I would recommend: Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman, which is a mystery set in Victorian England. I haven't read Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes series (younger sis of Sherlock), but they look pretty great. They are both historical.

Maureen Johnson has a YA mystery called Truly Devious, but I haven't read it. It might be a little old for your daughter.

Sorry kids, no feet. 6 months ago
We found an Enola Holmes book at the library today. We ordered the first book for her. She has to start at the beginning. She can't read out of order. It drives her nuts. I'm going to look for the Pullman books. If not for her, for me.
Moonlight Snow 6 months ago
The 39 Clues might be a good one for her - it's one of those multi-author Scholastic series. Also, if "spy" is enough of a mystery for her, she might like Alex Rider and/or the Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter.
Moonlight Snow 6 months ago
Another one that might be too YA is Hoot by Carl Hiassen. It's awesome, though! He has a second YA called Flush.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
What about Sherlock Holmes? Or has she already read the stories?

I don't know if they're still around, or have been updated, but I loved Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid.
Here are a few suggestions that are pretty popular in my elementary library:
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (plus two sequels)
(they made this book into a series on Nickelodeon)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (this is a series)
- Book Scavenger by Jennifer Bertman (also a series)
- The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin (3 book series)
- Greenglass House by Kate Milford
- Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett
Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
The Three Investigators (variety of authors) - short but a whole lot of fun!
Definitely seconded -- the series that got me addicted to mysteries when I was a kid.
Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Goosebumps series? Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket?
I've never read them, but my cousin seemed to like them.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The BFG / The Witches by Roald Dahl

There are some Terry Pratchett Discworld Novels for younger readers.

Bunnicula by James Howe (there are 7 books)

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

The Secret Garden by Burnette

Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin

Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon!!!

Encyclopedia Brown.
Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Polly Shulman -The Grimm Legacy (there are 3 books in the set so far, but I think they are standalones).
Enid Blyton -- "The Famous Five" and "The Secret Seven" series.

ETA: And her "Mystery" series, of course. (Duh.)
Sorry kids, no feet. 6 months ago
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we should have enough books on our list to get us through the summer. Maybe.