BrokenTune 5 years ago
That really does look magical! :D
Woo -- loud cheers!
Portable Magic 5 years ago
Fireworks makes little kids of us all, even if only just for a few moments.
They do.
5 years ago
AWESOME! I would love to get a tour of Fenway someday.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
I wish we'd included the ballpark tours as part of our ballpark travel plans. My friend and I have had an ambition to see a game at every MLB ballpark, although we haven't done much the last couple of years due to job/limited cash issues. But Fenway was one of the first ones we did together. We spent most of our time doing touristy things in Boston and New England, and just explored the ballpark on our own when we went to a game there.
5 years ago
That's excellent! Boston is such a fun town to explore and of course there's a lot of history there, if you're into that kind of thing. It's also not too far from Salem and that's always fun too.

One of the things we'd like to do when we retire is hit some ballparks around the country. I don't know if we'll make all of them, but it should be fun trying.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
That's half the fun! We saw the Rockies in Denver and drove around in the mountains and saw the Cardinals in St. Louis and visited the brewery and rode to the top of the arch and took a paddleboat on the Mississippi. Not sure what's next. Maybe New York.
5 years ago
My husband's been to Yankee Stadium a few times and he says it's gorgeous. However, once you step outside of the stadium, it's not the best of neighborhoods.
He's of the opinion that Fenway should be rebuilt or rehabbed, but I love it just the way it is. (Which is with some obstructed view seating, (the Pesky pole), and with some seats that many modern folk cannot fit into.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
I would hate to see that, although I suppose they could modernize it without destroying what's unique and historic about it. The visit to Fenway was really a new experience for me. Previously I had only been to see games at the Astrodome (where I grew up) and at The Ballpark in Arlington. So, I was accustomed to relatively new stadiums that are freestanding/apart from downtown with their own parking. At first, we couldn't even find it, because we didn't realize it was surrounded by shops and buildings that looked just like the rest of Boston. We kept saying, well, it's supposed to be right here! Where is it?!?.

And then the parking! Turning our keys over to an attendant who packed our cars in like sardines made me a little anxious. It seemed like there were about 100 cars crammed onto a parking lot the size of a postage stamp. You had to wait for them to get them out in the same order they packed them in.

Then the stadium seating felt a bit like high-school football bleachers, with the concourse being right below the seats. We had seats in right field, near the bullpen, which was a lot of fun - it was a great view. I remember that it rained, and we were laughing about having to wear what looked like garbage bags with Red Sox logos. I also remember laughing at the condiment dispensers for our hot dogs, because they were so very phallic-shaped. - the shape, combined with dispensing mayonnaise, just provoked some really juvenile hilarity.

We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed how unique the stadium and the experience was. I'll have to dig up the photos from whereever I've got them stored.
5 years ago
Somehow I didn't see your reply until now. LOL It sounds like a typical visit to Fenway! The parking is crazy around there! We usually take the train in so we can avoid that 90 million dollars it costs to park around there.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
See, it's the little tips from locals that can make all the difference. But I'm glad to have experienced parking in downtown Boston, too. I'd never seen cars parked like sardines in a can before. It was so very different than parking in Houston or Dallas or San Antonio.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Hmmm... I apparently missed a lot of great posts 2 weeks ago. Awesome fireworks!

I'd love to see a game at every stadium, and I'm with you; I'd hate to see them modernise Fenway too much. It broke my heart that they tore down Yankee Stadium (and no, I don't care how decrepit it was - it was history!). Wrigley and Fenway are the only two original stadiums left.
5 years ago
YESSS!! This is how I feel about Fenway too. I know it cannot compete with the beautiful stadiums being built now, but THOSE cannot compete with the history of Fenway.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
Wrigley is also on my list of stadiums to experience. I love baseball, though, in all its forms, new stadiums and old stadiums. But the history and atmosphere at Fenway was amazing for me, when I had only been to modern stadiums and with teams whose history isn't much older than my own.

HOWEVER. I am not going to be a bit nostalgic for the old Ballpark in Arlington, come 2020, when we can finally watch games in air conditioned comfort in our new stadium. Watching baseball is NOT fun when the temperature is in triple digits. I won't go to any day games after mid-May.
5 years ago
Wow, that's tough-dealing with temperatures like that! It must have a dome then?
Portable Magic 5 years ago
It will be a retractable roof stadium, but much like the one in Houston, I expect it will be closed more often than it's open, once summer gets underway.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Tropicana Field is the same - enclosed and air conditioned by necessity. People would drop from heat stroke otherwise. And don't get me wrong, it's a great field - but Wrigley... Wrigley is like a trip in the way-back machine. It's truly a community baseball field. Although they've recently refurbished it - so I don't know how drastic they went. :|
Portable Magic 5 years ago
There is no substitute for a place that is so historic that you can almost see the ghosts