Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
I keep all of my ebooks in Calibre, and the resulting Calibre Library folder backed up on Dropbox and a flash drive. That said, I don't really know of other options.

I've never really gotten into browsing my collection using Calibre, so if I'm not interested in a particular author, title, or tag I've set up, I use LibraryThing for collection browsing. As far as I know, there's no way to link your Calibre library and LibraryThing collection, so I manually add books to my LibraryThing library as I add them to Calibre. I read my e-books either on my phone, accessing my Calibre Library folder in Dropbox, or I sideload them onto my Simple Touch e-reader using Calibre.
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
One nice thing that Calibre does, as it's setting up your library: I try to rename all my e-book files to something that makes sense to me, a human being. However, I've been sloppy over the years, and there are lots that are named, say, the ISBN of the book, or random letters and numbers, whatever the publisher or distributor decided to name them. When you load books into Calibre, as part of setting up your Calibre Library folder, it creates subfolders for each author and sorts the files into their respective folders. Depending on what the file metadata is like, this can sometimes be a little sloppy (maybe you get two subfolders, "Doe Jane" for one book by Jane Doe and "Jane Doe" for the other book by Jane Doe), but it's at least some organization if you're manually browsing the Calibre Library folder (which I do when I'm choosing a book to read on my phone) rather than browsing your library through the Calibre software (which I do on my desktop).
Portable Magic 2 months ago
So the book files are literally located in Calibre on your computer, but with backup to dropbox, and you load the files on your phone from dropbox?
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Ah, okay, that seems like what I'm looking for. I keep my full book catalog on Goodreads, so I can track what books I own, have borrowed, etc, and have read or on TBR mountain from there, but I was looking for a more integrated way of keeping/browsing the book files and loading them onto my ipad.

This used to be easy to do in iTunes, but they eliminated that function, for whatever reason.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Also, what app do you use on your phone to read the epubs?
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
Yes - I never actually checked whether there's a Calibre app, but now I see that there is. I suppose I should give it a shot...

When you set up Calibre, it asks you where you want to save your library. The default is, I think, somewhere on your hard drive. The library is literally a folder called "Calibre Library." When I downIoad books to my computer, I save them in a folder on my Desktop. I then go into Calibre and tell it where to find the files I want to load - it doesn't delete those files, but rather makes a copy of them, sorted into the right subfolders, in my Calibre Library folder. I then copy this folder and update my various backups. When I'm using my phone, I just go into my Dropbox folder and access that particular backup, although, like I said, it looks like there's a Calibre app I should try out.
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
Ooh, but I see now that the Calibre app does cost a little. My method is free, even if it's a little clunky.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Free is good! I don't mind a little extra work. Although I'd have to set up a dropbox account. Unless I can use Google Drive, maybe.
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
That would work fine too! I used Dropbox because it's what I had at the time.
Bark's Book Reviews 2 months ago
I like Calibre but now keep all of my books on my Kindle app so I haven't looked at it in awhile. It was always user friendly and I loved that it could convert files into different formats when I needed to do that.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Can you read epubs on the kindle app?
Bark's Book Reviews 2 months ago
No, they have to be converted to .mobi but calibre does that if they're not protected and there is hack around that or at least there used to be. I used to own a Sony reader but the thing died. After that I just stuck to my Ipad & the Kindle app but I had to convert a lot of those books I had purchased years earlier that were in epub form.
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
You can use Calibre to turn your epubs into mobi files, which you can read on your Kindle.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
You can load books from the desktop Calibre software to the kindle app?
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
If you scroll down there is a link to transferring from Calibre to Kindle app.
Bark's Book Reviews 2 months ago
Here's a link to an article on kindle/calibre/epub:

Portable Magic 2 months ago
That does look easy, but it seems to be specific to the dedicated kindle e-reader.
Take a look at Tolino. It's designed to be an open platform specifically to break the Amazon monopoly in Europe.

Adobe Digital Editions can also be helpful but it's more work.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Tolino looks helpful, although the website is more focused on their e-reader product.
I use the Tolino app on my iPad mini with no problems
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
I use Calibre as well!
Portable Magic 2 months ago
It's comforting to know others are using it and it works well for them. It's looking like that's the most integrated and easy to use system. One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to get rid of iTunes altogether.
Murder by Death 2 months ago
You mean you can't load your epubs directly to iBooks anymore???
Murder by Death 2 months ago
Do you use a mac? If so, I found this: "All I ended up having to do was right click the ePub file in finder, then select "open with" then click iBooks. It added it on my Mac and was instantly available on my iPhone" - won't work with a pc though...
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Yeah, I use a pc, so that doesn't work. Actually loading them onto my ipad using iTunes isn't the problem, though. I just have to use file explorer and drag/drop while it's connected, then sync. The problem is that I don't have a very useful way to manage my files, now that iTunes doesn't recognize them in its library. I can do it in file explorer, of course, but I wanted something a little more robust than that. Looks like Calibre will do it.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 months ago
Calibre
Obsession with words 2 months ago
iTunes is really bugging me. They are making it so people have to use only their products. I also have a PC and I had to call iTunes support when I got locked out of my account. I couldn't reset it because the email address they had wasn't mine somehow. The dude kept saying, "on your iphone...." and I'd explain I didn't have one. I'm on PC! Grrr. So I've been trying to find a good app for my music to replace itunes. I was looking for an app like this for ebooks too because I hate it that I can't organize my ebooks into categories. I'll check this out and Tolino too. I also use goodreads.com so especially like something that worked with that site. I was recently looking into LibraryThing but the first book I tried to enter wasn't there and I didn't want to manually add it.
Portable Magic 2 months ago
I am so completely over iTunes. They constantly change the software, and not little tweaks but huge changes that you have to reorganize your stuff or relearn how to use it, and who has time for that? I have the space on my phone to keep all my music and image files, etc., but I don't like to do that because my car's audio system can't deal with that many files and it won't sync to play music.

I read the books on my ipad mini, but it doesn't have the storage space for more than a couple books, along with everything else.

I tried Calibre last night, and it seems to work well, but so far it's a lot of trouble to transfer the book files directly to the ipad from the desktop Calibre. I think I'm going to see if it works better to keep the backup on Google Drive and download from there.
Obsession with words 2 months ago
I use google drive too so I was hoping that would work. I downloaded Calibre last night but didn't get to check it out yet. I ended up taking a huge nap that turned into an all day siesta.
Those are the best kind
If you got them from Gutenberg, why not go back there and download Kindle versions?
Portable Magic 2 months ago
That's an option, but they aren't all Gutenberg, and I'm a little unsure about instructions since I use the kindle app on an ipad mini, and most of the instructions I've seen are for downloading directly to a kindle e-reader.

Plus, getting the files on the ipad aren't the issue so much as being able to organize and manage my ebook files on my pc. I don't have enough storage space on my ipad for more than a couple books at a time.
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
I posted a link above regarding transferring to the app. I'll post again here, (scroll down a little for the transer to app instructions. Hope it works for you!
Portable Magic 2 months ago
OK! Those are good instructions that ought to work. I bookmarked the website.
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
YAY! I wasn't quite sure, but it looked right. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
Portable Magic 2 months ago
Sounds like the limitation may be on the file size of the book, because you can only use the email method for pc-to-apple transfers. But it seems unlikely that any one book will be that big.