BrokenTune 3 years ago
I love these ND updates!
And I really hope, too, that the plain gelatin is the fruit flavoured jello kind because even the thought alone of unflavoured "plain" gelatine is pretty gross.
Portable Magic 3 years ago
I'm glad you're enjoying them! I've been having so much fun doing them. I got waaaay ahead on my ND reading and haven't started with the chapter comparisons on the next book (Bungalow Mystery), so that's next for me. I will just finish posting the Hidden Staircase every couple of days. I have to finish doing the comparisons and writing them up before I post any, because the versions are so different in style and construction that it takes a while to organize anything coherent.

Completely agree on the gelatin. I've never even seen unflavored gelatin, but it must exist for some of these amazingly disgusting recipes. My own mother only did canned fruit in hers, thank goodness, but I do remember her having a crazy assortment of jello mold pans.
Portable Magic 3 years ago
Well, apparently plain gelatin is now being promoted as part of a healthy diet. I don't suggestions to eat it plain, but some of these suggestions do look pretty gross: https://www.diynatural.com/benefits-of-gelatin-in-your-diet/
Murder by Death 3 years ago
My bff swears by it (she buys a type that is powdered, supposedly doesn't go wobbly, and she adds it to her smoothies; says her skin has never looked better. I'm choosing to take her word for it; I have issues with gelatine, fruit flavoured or any other kind.

There was a food counter at our McCrory's when I was a little kid, and it probably survived until 1980 or so, but it's the only one I have ever seen (although the next town over used to have a Rexall's Drugs with a soda fountain; Rexall's survived well into the 80's there, but the soda fountain was gone before my time).
Portable Magic 3 years ago
I have a friend who spends ridiculous amounts of money on supplements and other weird stuff she sees on shopping channels and the internet and swears by them.

Personally, I'll stick to health guidelines based on valid scientific studies.

You don't even know what's really in those supplements; they're completely unregulated, at least here in the US.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
I feel the same, although I don't really look at guidelines either (because that would seriously impinge on my consumption of bread); I try to stick only to food that comes from mother nature and get my nutrition that way instead of supplemental pills or powders, with a few exceptions (zinc, lysine, vitamin D - because down under winters aren't sunny). My bff has serious health issues and I think her focus on diet is a way to exert, or feel in, control. Which is what I tell myself whenever I have the urge to start spitting out scientific data at her. :D
Portable Magic 3 years ago
I can't say I actually follow the guidelines - I just had a Diet Coke and Fritos for breakfast - but at least I know to blame any poor health on my failure to do so and don't waste money or hope on whatever the latest fad the snake oil salesmen are pushing.