BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yeah, the original stories were horrible.
Portable Monsters 2 weeks ago
I can (mostly) give books a pass when they reflect the common values of the time they were written, but these just don't even make any sense and sound more like Incel Reddit fantasies than actual stories.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
The fact that they "don't make sense" is a sign of how we have become more rational but I also find it hard to grasp how the original stories have been popular at the time that the brothers collected them.
Portable Monsters 2 weeks ago
You and me both. I have to wonder what kind of curating the Grimm brothers employed in gathering them - which popular stories of the day did they *choose* to leave out of the collection? I think it's not an accident that they ones they published all have recurrent themes.
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
The stories are coded in many ways - a way of talking about things and, as in Cinderella, wish fulfillment. Snow White, for instance, is why you shouldn't turn out as vain as your mother (the Grimms changed the mother to the step mother. The Grimms also made the tales more religious. Incidentally, children were abandoned like Hansel and Gretel , which is one of the few tales where siblings help each other - though Kate Crackernuts is my favorite.
Portable Monsters 2 weeks ago
There are some where I can dimly see what the lesson may be, but I am truly struck by the absolute lack of simple altruistic kindness in almost every story. With the exception of the fox (I think in the Golden Bird), everything is a transaction. Even embodying the apparent feminine ideal of beauty, modesty, obedience, etc., doesn't get you any help without strings attached. It really was a brutal, unkind world.
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
See, once you realize that the sources for many of the tales are women, that aspect of the stories make perfect sense. It's how women were treated.
Portable Monsters 2 weeks ago
Meaning, it's a reflection of the world as it was for women, as opposed to the world as they'd like it to be?
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
Yes. though some tales are wish fulfillment - the ones about spinning for example where she no longer has to spin. It makes sense because look at how many fairy tales are about not having to do housework at the end.
Kaethe 2 weeks ago
Emphasis on the Household aspect of the tales makes sense.