Moonlight Reader 4 years ago
So, none of my settings menus show any place to add a background color. Is this in a specific theme menu? I'm totally confused here.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
It's in the menu that goes with template 1 (default), that's the one I use and you do too so this should work out fine.

Did you scroll down in the customize menu, the box is in there not too far down. It looks like it stops but there's a hiden slider to move it down
. Take it slow and follow the pics in the tutorial and you should be fine :)

Come back and holler if you get stuck though.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
OH WAIT, this is tutorial number 3...I only menitoned the slider in the first couple. my mistake. hang on...
SilverThistle 4 years ago
I forgot that people might be dipping in and out and not know where to look if they didn't see earlier tutorials. If you check this one, it'll show the slider... http://silverthistle.booklikes.com/post/460791/customizing-booklikes-tutorial-part-1-back-to-basics-how-to-get-started-
Moonlight Reader 4 years ago
FYI, I did that - and I can get to where it gives me the option to upload a background photo. But, weirdly, the color box that your tutorial shows should be immediately above, is not there. I wondered if it was a browser issue, so I looked on my iPad as well, and it doesn't show there either. It could STILL be a browser issue, I suppose, but not sure.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Hmmm, it could be a browser issue I suppose. There might be about 4 or 5 places in the menu that will let you add an image background but it's the very first one on the menu that has the colour right above it.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
or is should say - it's the very first one that shows the colour is right above the upload image, there a few that area's that have it with the colour box right above but it's the first one on the menu that you need
Moonlight Reader 4 years ago
I found a legal paper background that I think works well for me, especially with the leather header (which I actually sort of like) and my background as a lawyer, and the comments show up fine.
So, I'm going to stick with that. At least for the next five minutes. ;)
Moonlight Reader 4 years ago
But, thanks for all of your help, seriously. The box for the sidebar is really helpful, and cleans up the look significantly.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
No problem :) The yellow paper looks nice. It's all new for us and it's a steep learning curve. I hadn't even heard of CSS this time last week, lol.
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
I'm with Moonlight Reader; I was able to play with some backgrounds. Below uploading a graphic for the background is a blog title text color change, above it the header background and above that not only is there no "background color" but there is no "avatar" -- I'm checking under "timeline", "shelf" in case is there but somehow not on main blog. I'll shoot a link to a screenshot after
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Ahh, I see the problem. You're not scrolling down the menu far enough. See my part 1 tutorial here for how to scroll to the bottom of that skinny side menu :)

Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
Well, both our screenshots show header background and background upload picture choices. In your screenshot, the background color shows between those upload picture choices and avatar settings. In my screenshot, there is no avatar choice or background color choice. I've worked around it with css and am satisfied with how it's working. But, I've scrolled completely up and down the menu options without seeing that background color field.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Are you on a macbook too?
Hi Silver Thistle, and many thanks for your wonderfully helpful tutorials, perfect. However I'm having the same thing as Moonlight Reader and Debbie's Spurts, I'm not getting the option to change background colour, only change the colour of the title, or upload a photo for the background. I have scrolled down as far as it will go, nuffin. I tried safari instead of firefox, same thing. Maybe this option is gone?
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Thank you :) It's still there, are you on a laptop or a phone? Maybe it's that. Did you check out part 1 that shows the hidden slider to get get further down the menu?
I'm on a macbook. And yes, thanks, I did see part one, and have been as far as I can go with the slider, I go down past all sorts of things I've switched off because all those fb and google buttons get on my wick.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Oh I don't get any facebook and google buttons. Let me take a screenshot of my menu so you can compare with what you've got....

BRB....
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Just a messy cut and paste job to show what my menu looks like, so you can compare it with yours. (Didn't even notice those fb etc buttons, lol) Anyway, while I was screenshotting I came up with a better idea, lol. Just use the over-ride code at the very bottom and put in your own colour where I have the FFFFFF part. That should do the same job :) Let me know if it's still not working out for your though :)
SilverThistle 4 years ago
OOps, forgot to say, I've added it to the bottom of the post above :)
Wow, thanks, genius!
We Scots eh? You and me both?
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Heheheh, aye. That's braw that's it's worked for you!!
OK, it is different. After the facebook Like Box widget mine goes straight to Hide Recently added, Hide Favorite books, Hide currently reading and then the header background. None of the stuff between. Ne'er mind. I shall try my hand at override code. Such fun! And a great way of wasting time.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
That's interesting, and annoying at the same time.... I'll bear it in mind that these might not work for macbook users. I'll add a bit at the top to mention it. Just wondering if everyone else that has had problems is on a mac too....
*dusts off hands* Done! Thanks again. Now for those followers' buttons
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Very nice!! It's fun and addictive tinkering with it all, no?
Jamie's Book Blog 4 years ago
Thank you so much. I'm new to booklikes and I've been so confused about what I'm doing. Your tutorials are helping so much. Love how your blog looks too. I was trying to create this super complicated header with all these bells and whistles and I don't even know how to use photoshop or gimp that well lol. I just looked at your blog and realized I'm trying to overdo things. Yours looks spectacular. I'm going to really simplify what I've been trying to do. Now back to that header :) Thank you so much.
SilverThistle 4 years ago
Welcome to Booklikes! :) Thanks so much for the kind words, I hope you get your blog how you like it too. If anything isn't clear in the tutorials, just let me know and we'll sort it out together. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with your space here :)