SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you :) (I even got a bit stressy at the thought of having to make the post, ahahahah)
Woman Reading 5 years ago
Well said!
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Sock Poppet at Play 5 years ago
I'm so glad you had the nerve to write this post. I feel the same way!

For now I'll pretty much follow anyone who follows me, just so I can get to know them. And I love seeing other people's blogs.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
I'll probably end up doing the same for now, I love seeing everyone's posts. I'm thinking though, that as my feed grows it'll be hard to keep up. I wish there was a way to filter it all.
Stress!....I hovered over the enter key for an age, wondering if I could, should or would, ahaha!
Hall of Records 5 years ago
Thanks for this post. I'm not so much worried about the etiquette of following (back), but of when it might be all right to butt in on a conversation... like now. :) Is it okay for me to chat to someone who does not follow me? I think it is until they tell me to sod off. It's still hard, though, because I always have to overcome my own shyness and so I refrain from commenting more often than not.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
It's absolutely all right to comment!! Comment, comment, comment!! The more new comments the better! :D I do it all the time and wherever I go!

Actually, now that I think about it....you've just given me a new thing to stress over, ahahah.

Nah, it's fine to comment. I like to think of it as 'making new friends and breaking the ice' rather than 'I'm a butt-in-ski' :D Sometimes I'm just interested in a particular discussion and want to be part of it, but not necessarily want to sign on for the long haul so there's no following involved, just commenting.

Thanks for commenting! Swing by any time ~:D
Hall of Records 5 years ago
I agree! Even though another BookLiker might have different tastes in reading material he or she might have interesting thoughts on general (or very specific) topics that I'd like to add my two cents to or just let them know that I appreciate their posts. And it's a good thing that we all follow such a diverse bunch of people, so the most amazing posts by people I do not follow (yet) will eventually appear on my dashboard thanks to re-blogging. :o)

Incidentally, do you know if there’s an option to search other people’s bookshelves (there’s no “compare books” feature yet as far as I can see). I wanted to check if another BookLiker had already read a certain book, so as not to spoil(er?) her with my comments and a couple of thousand books were too many to wade through. :o)

And: Buttinski! Lol. I’m tempted to check how many people by that name are out there. :o)

SilverThistle 5 years ago
Heeheh, Buttinski...love that name! I used work beside a guy called Mr Bythway and when I first started there I read his name wrong and for about 18 months called him Mr By-the-way. Hahahah! Cringe!!

The easiest way that I've found (although it's not that easy) to find a book on someone else's shelves is to go to their shelves page and then type into the search bar under their avatar for the book, author, whatever. It only seems to find 'exact' matches though so for 'The Summer Fling' for example, 'Summer Fling' might not work to find it. 9 times out of 19 I find it that way though :P
Hall of Records 5 years ago
Oh boy, I might need new glasses. I haven't even noticed that there is a search bar below the avatar. There's still so much to explore! I probably should focus on the basics before moving on to the more advanced stuff like blockquotes. Thanks for answering questions so patiently. One of my greatest fears when commenting is that someone will point out to me that I'm an idiot and I would then have to ask them to tell me something I don't know already. ;D

I would have read this as Mr By-the-way myself and would have been mortified when I found out that I’ve been addressing him in a slightly demeaning way. Better never to find out. Ignorance truly is bliss.

Ah, I’d better get back to work now, at least for two more hours. :-)

SilverThistle 5 years ago
I wanted to get comfy here before I started snooping around so I jazzed the graphics first too. Priority. Stat. Now I can mooch around the place and press all the buttons to see what they do (or don't do). I only just started reformatting my books yesterday and it's been challenging to try and find a way that's easy, fast and enjoyable. Getting into the routine now though. Although I had to sacrifice 'easy' and 'fast' to get to 'enjoyable'.

Well, you know what they say...there are no stupid questions. :D Only an idiot would call you an idiot for asking. That's the only way to learn :)

When my kids used to come home from school upset and say they just didn't 'get' what they had been taught that day, I always told them that if they didn't 'get' it then it was 100% the teacher's fault and 0% their fault. Everyone learns things in different ways and it's up to the person with the knowledge to make sure it's given to the learner in a way that makes the learning easy...or at the very least, enjoyable :)

That's one of the reason's I started making my tutorials. There are lots of great how-to's around here and I've learned so much, but some of this coding stuff just goes over my head and it takes me ages to work it out and I get frustrated sometimes. I only discovered CSS a week ago myself so it's all new to me. I wanted to write mine in a way as if I was doing it for the me that first arrived here last week and who knew zero about coding CSS, in case anyone else was at a similar stage and needed leading by the hand and shown where to go.

I hope they help someone :)

Blimey...seem to have written a novella there..sorry 'bout that :D
Fun With Books Blog 5 years ago
This is a great post - I am so horribly shy and don't say much, but I like to follow blogs that interest me, but I also worry that people may think they must follow me back just because I follow them - which is so not the case :)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you so much :) Everything about Booklikes has been wonderful so far, and everyone is so lovely...I'm just a worrier. I don't think I'm shy exactly, but I am quite selfconscious (is that even a word? It looks wrong to me. Maybe it's two words). I'm a worrier so I made the post to unload my worries into the 'out there' lol.
Tackling Mt. TBR 5 years ago
This is such a great post! I agree sometimes it's tough to tell if you should follow back or not. I don't expect people to follow me back when I follow them. It's usually just because I find their posts interesting. At the moment if someone follows me, I will pretty much always follow back if I look on their shelves and see they are interested in some of the same books as me.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you :) I'm much the same at the moment, but I imagine in months to come it would get overwhelming with all the feeds to scroll though to get to the stuff I'm looking for. One thing I have noticed though, is the people with like 800+ followers and they're just following maybe 12. I don't get that. I've looked at their posts and I can't say some of them are that exciting or posted with any regularity. Maybe I'm missing something, but those blogs just look like the person is only interested in hearing the sound of their own voice and couldn't care less what anyone else is talking about.

Everyone is different, I suppose.