Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
That is really pretty, with all of those colors.

I knit. Crocheting is a total mystery to me. I like to watch movies I've seen before while I knit (especially Harry Potter.)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you :) It's much nicer in real life, my phone has a really poor camera :(

I used to knit quite a bit when the kids were little. I liked to do the Intarsia image sweaters, I haven't knitted in years now though. I like to crochet to movies too but I don't know why I didn't think of audiobooks before now, seems like a match made in heaven, lol.
Witches' Tea Shop 5 years ago
Beautiful start. I am a crafter and reader, so I get it. I do needlepoint.
Thanks :)
I used to do a LOT of cross stitch but my eyesight can't take it these days as I stitch on evenweave and linen and it's just too hard to do it for any length of time. I've got a few projects that still need finishing and I do a little here and there so I expect I'll complete them eventually ...probably :)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you. She has an all white room and likes bright coloured accent pieces :)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
I love that deal I found, just bummed that I can't take advantage of it. I've just been telling hubby about it though so he can get it as a new member. He won't keep it after the three months are up but I'll get 3 new audios out of it so it's all good :D
nospin 5 years ago
For those interested, this website links to free audio books. I generally use Audible because I love Whispersync/immersion feature so I can't recommend any but others really like the site.

SilverThistle 5 years ago
Nice link! Thanks! I'll share it with my hubby too, he's into classics at the moment :)
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
Oh, this made me remember:

Two free audio books a week all summer long. :)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Fantastic link, thanks so much! I'll bookmark it and get Overdrive ready. I tried to subscribe for updates but I can't get the sign-up thingy to work :( No matter. I'll try and remember. There are some great books om the list and a lot of them are on my TBR list.
Moonlight Madness 5 years ago
They do it every summer!
Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of them! All those books I've missed! :P
I love the "crocodile" stitch. I just did one in all pink. I'm currently working on a Bavarian stitch. Have you tried broomstick lacing?
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Crocodile is my newest fave stitch. I love it! Takes a bit of time to work out with the stitching on the ladders/posts but once you get the first few done it's as easy as counting to 5 :) I love it. I haven't tried broomstick lacing but I'll have to check it out now. Do you have any pics of yours? I love looking at other people's crochet, lol.
Broomstick lace project was at the bottom of that one.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Very nice! The broomstick lace looks lovely all crocheted up. I used to quilt quite a bit too, haven't for a long time now though. The last project I was working on was Leanne's House Block of the Month Quilt. Have still to finish that one. http://leanneshouse.typepad.com/photos/leannes_house_block_of_th/image001.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing everyone's projects :)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Oh didn't see the other post with the crocodile pics! It's so lovely in that shade of pink! I keep looking at the back of mine too and thinking it would work both ways! My daughter is calling it her dragon scale afghan, lol.
Silver - another really easy stitch that looks pretty is the puff stitch. I found this person is very easy to follow, also I like how I don't have to worry about my base stitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sencHgcKyU&list=FLuVh0sGgKX2gjBsgEm7s5zA&index=7
SilverThistle 5 years ago
I've been looking at the puff stitch recently, it looks so cute! Thanks for the link, I haven't watched her vids before. She seems to crochet like me, with a loose tension and she's easy to follow. I'm in the UK but was taught crochet by an American so I'm more comfortable with the US terms, although I can adapt when it's a UK pattern too. It gets a bit confusing if I don't know in advance if it's a US or UK pattern and always wonder when it calls for a double if it's a US or UK double, lol. I like youtube tutorials because I can tell by the accent which version I need to be doing.

I really like the bobble stitch too and want to try that one out. Actually, there are so many lovely stitches I've got my eye on, I want to try them all but there aren't enough hours in the day!

I have a pattern here somewhere that I've had for an age. It's a vintage pattern and not very clear to me how the stitches are worked but I want to do it so bad I can almost taste it. I might have to dig it out and give it another try and if I still get stuck I can post here and maybe you will be able to make sense of it :D I think it's a UK pattern but I can't be sure. I'm just in the mood to give it another whirl. I hope I can find it again after so long...
GreenHippie 5 years ago
I love to crochet and I love to read, so I'm considering getting some audiobooks to combine the two :) seems like you're enjoying the combo.

That's a beautiful blanket btw, is there a pattern for it (and if so where could I purchase it?)
Green there are lots of youtube videos that show you how to do this stitch. The "crocodile" stitch. I use the one from The Crochet Crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUNtrp_Vj4o
GreenHippie 5 years ago
Thanks bunches!
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you. Green! I'm really enjoying the combo!

Youtube vids are the way to go with this stitch, until you get the hang of it. The pattern seems harder than it is at first but it's a lovely one to work with. I got the pattern from Raverly and it's a free one...I'll just find it for you.

Here it is- http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocodile-stitch

Hope you have fun with it and post pics for the nosey people (me) :D

*edit* I should have said I got the 'stitch' from Raverly but the pattern is just one I made up myself once I learned the stitch. I wasn't able to find a pattern for a blanket larger than baby size and mine is (going to be) about 7feet x 7 feet. The way mine works out it uses a multiple of 5 stitches plus one. I cast on 351 stitches and it worked out the length I needed. I have loose tension though so I use a smaller hook than reccommended. I use an E instead of an F to try and make up for it. Crocodile stitch is a wool eater though, be warned, lol.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
I just checked out the broomstick lace! Wow, it's a nice one but I don't know if I'm co-ordinated enough for that one, lol. I'd love to see what you do with it!

Bavarian stitch in rows looks really nice http://crochetkitten.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/bavarian-crochet-in-rows.html sounds like a thick one like the crocodile.
GreenHippie 5 years ago
Thank you heaps for all the help I'm going to give it a go and see if I can make something with it ;)
Tackling Mt. TBR 5 years ago
So loving that blanket!
Thank you so much! :D
Olga Godim 5 years ago
Lovely blanket! I don't know how to crochet. I knit a lot though, usually while watching TV. Audio books are the next logical step.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Thank you :) I Don't know why I didn't think of audio before!
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Your blanket is gorgeous! I can't crochet but I love to knit while watching tv. I feel like I'm not completely wasting my time then :)
Hahaha, yes!