Murder by Death 2 years ago
There's a refrain that keeps repeating through my head every time I read the news and I can't put it in words because it'd likely get me investigated or put on some mad list somewhere, but honestly this man just needs to go. Him and his little dog (Pence) too. Preferably soon.
I almost want to say "him and his little bunny" - but Pence's bunny is pretty cute. The bunny can stay. Everyone else, OUT!
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Agreed! Bunnies are pardoned.
Obi 2 years ago
At least the actors (games of ...)have some semblance of credibility...
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I hear you.
But Game of Thrones has better costumes!
Obi 2 years ago
Yep,and you know it is not real,it's fiction!!
You mean The White House isn't a reality show?! :o
Obi 2 years ago
Well,it is a show(with quite a number of followers) ,not sure exactly what kind of show...my (very )personal guess is some kind of hybrid, horror and slapstick....
Bark at the Ghouls 2 years ago
It's a new insanity ever day.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I still feel punk'ed that a national political party actually chose as Presidential candidate someone whose qualifications were ... what? being a publicly outspoken tycoon with lots of campaign funds? ... (Admittedly, I don't always follow politics closely but did Trump ever serve in any elected or appointed political office?)

I do know it's real that Trump is the President, voted, inaugurated and everything. But I still have trouble wrapping my mind around that, it's still feels surreal to me. And that's nothing to do with political parties or anything other than Trump? Donald Trump? real estate mogul Trump? reality tv Trump? huh?
The rest of the world is mind boggled about it too. He actually wants to do rallies over here! He thinks he would find supporters, Mental.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I'm pretty sure he has incriminating photographs of enough of the GOP members that he was able to sway the convention results. I will go to my grave believing this because that man is such a joke there's not way anyone could have possibly ... I'm stopping now. You get the idea.
He did not. Trump is our first president with ZERO experience in either politics or the military. (We have had a few presidents with zero political experience, but they've all been famous generals. Jackson. Grant. Eisenhower.)
Murder by Death 2 years ago
It doesn't take political experience to understand and execute blackmail. Anyway, this is my irrational belief and I can't be swayed, because the alternative is that a very large group of people who are supposed to be smarter and more rational not only bought into, but believed possible, the garbage spewing from that ugly mouth of his.
I think some from column A, and some from column B, myself.
Watching Theresa May do the same turns my stomach. Yeah, suddenly the Cons are going to do all the stuff they should have been doing the past few years instead of systematically dismantling the country.
On the bright side (if you want to see it that way), I think this is how Nixon started out too. That worked out well for him. Not that I think Pence is a better option.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I thought Nixon had at least had qualifications -- having been elected to several government offices (including California state senator, then a U.S. Congressman (House of Representatives), and Vice President), had a law degree, and been active military -- before becoming President?
My mother was actually heard intoning the other day that she almost missed Nixon. And she LOATHED Nixon!

Nixon was evil but actually qualified for the job.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I'd take Nixon back in a heartbeat over the orange idiot; at the very, very least, he could be trusted not to antagonise foreign countries with nuclear arsenals.
Horribly, I think I'd have to agree. I'd even take back Jr. Bush. (And I never thought I'd ever say that!!!!)
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I'm no Nixon fan either; just thought he at least was qualified to run for President.
Oh, he definitely had the experience you would want in a presidential candidate.
Apparently qualifications are out the window now for President. I just read that Dwayne Johnson thinks he should run for president. I think we have officially taken the "anyone can be anything" motto too far.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
If Dwayne Jhnson had run against Trump, I would have voted for Dwayne.
I don't know. I live in a state that allowed the presidential candidate from the Legalize Marijuana Now party on the ballot. It would be a tough choice.
I think part of the problem is that many people think politics is so easy that anyone can do it; so who needs a professional? (Hence Trumpy's comment about "who knew this job was so hard?" Uh, anyone who's ever looked at before and after pictures of our presidents, who always age a hell of a lot more than the actual years they're in the office.)
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I saw some third party candidates that ran seemingly solely on legalizing marijuana -- I'd take them over Trump. Mellowed out with munchies might make for better diplomacy, less likely to thwart advice of joint chiefs and intelligence agencies, and very unlikely to veto legislation because of ego.

I'm not sure I could vote for the third party one that was a chick with no opinions and no platform at all (beyond saying she was sure she could figure it out later by forming lots of panels and committees). I'm sorry, but if you want to serve as your political party leader, Head of State and Commander in Chief you bloody damn well better have an opinion -- even if it is a megalomaniacal, racist, ignorant, hateful opinion.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
In order to run for office you should be able to pass a civics exam and a basic foreign relations exam. In my perfect world, they should also have to have credentials in philosophy and ethics, but pipe dreams, I know.

How much you want to bet most of our politicians could pass neither right now?

Politics should not be for the ignorant - I'm not quite sure when we allowed it to be.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Eh...the unethical could obtain credentials in ethics (in fact, would likely be quite motivated to do so in order to appear more trustworthy to their victims). Lots of degrees in political science, law and business already have some ethics studies required for all the good it does.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I don't think credentials in ethics automatically makes a person ethical and didn't mean to leave that impression in my first comment. But any exposure to ethics is better than none.
I wish more high schools taught civics. (Ethics classics in public high school can be a bit more slippery, as those can be covers for religious instruction.)
Civics should be taught in high school. I had a mandatory civics class in eighth grade but I think that's a little too soon. Ethics should be mandatory in college. It would be much better than the stupid philosophy class I had to take where I had to learn how to make a truth square. Would you like to know the number of times I have made a truth square since taking that class?
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I had a surprisingly useful combo civics and "consumer education" class senior year of high school. Explained balancing a checkbook (pre-Internet check your balance online, pre-ATM, got hardcopies of cancelled checks days -- cuz I'm ancient), registering to vote, paycheck taxes, fair credit acts, employee rights, etc.

I also lump sum total probably spent 9+ years of classes under various names (including civics, social studies, that state's required American history named class, political science, etc.) that studied the Constitution without actually teaching much about it. For some odd reason it was also a required pass/fail course my freshman year of pre-engineering (computer science) in college -- except for test days I volunteered for anything scheduled during those two hours and managed to perfect my ping-pong game at the inter-faith center instead. I so wanted to CLEP out of that one.