Ultramarine 10 years ago
MY GOD THIS SOUNDS TERRIBLE! I hate it when the story becomes "lets nest" and forget about all the romance and instalove.. yeah it works for (some of) the PNR but it has to have a good explanation or it's just, well, annoying.
Tami 10 years ago
It is so annoying! And all this gushy feelings about Babies, really, I wanted to shake her and tell her "Get a grip already!" - bad, bad, bad...
Ultramarine 10 years ago
I'm not sure if we're the majority on it though.. I don't like kids and don't want any so I take my opinion in books as my own.. most women around me, at my age want kids, plan on kids, have kids already. Maybe they "get it" while I don't.. I don't know.. But I know I CAN enjoy a book with kids. I can think of at least 4 books with kids I REALLY liked.
Tami 10 years ago
I feel the same!
If the kids and the family topic is well done I am perfectly fine with it - what I cannot bear is this whole "I NEED ME A BABY OR MY LIFE IS SHIT!" - I don't have kids and don't want any either and I have some friends who think the same, but there are also a lot of women in my age group (mid-thirties) who are totally obsessed with kids. Even the single girls (they are sometimes even worse - it seems they don't even care what kind of partner they'll have as long as they get impregnated...ugghhhh). And I am fine with whatever rocks their boat. I just don't want to talk about that 24/7. There is not so much to talk about imho.
Me "I don't want kids, but whatever makes you happy" roughly 10 seconds.
Obsessed woman "OOoooooh, kids are great, they make the sun shine, everybody should have children, they teach you so much. It is so great. Having a family is the best thing ever. What will you single, childless people do on christmas????" And so on and forth for roughly 30 minutes.
Ultramarine 10 years ago
:D yeah.. I SO know what you mean :) I have a friend who is pregnant, I think she is nearing the end, really SHOULD ask her when she's due (good reminder ;)) but when she was in the beginning I told a mutual friend that she is pregnant and she said - Cool!!! then started asking - it's a boy or a girl, how long is she? what kind of checks did she do etc and i was like - I don't know.. we didn't speak about it.. I just got that she is pregnant :D (which shows how much the one pregnant knows me and what she can or can't talk to me about.. ;)) the other one is single, doesn't have a husband and really want kids I see it in her, she won't compromise on a husband though which is SO important but I see how she reacts to kids and babies.. another friend of mine is trying to get pregnant. I cheer for her, I do! but I know that once she delivers I will hardly ever see her or see her with the baby (I feel a depression coming just thinking about it.... :S).
I'm 32 btw.
Tami 10 years ago
I am 34 - and there are some really desparate women out there. And I saw it with my oldest sister - she tried for 8 years, before getting an IVF, which worked fortunately. It was hell for her, she couldn't think about anything else.

One of my closest friends (also part of my real life book club) has a baby now - and I don't see her much around anymore, she just never has the time. So I more or less gave up, after she cancelled the 4th meeting in a row. Another friend (also book club) is married without kids like me - and to be honest, I am a bit afraid should she decide to go down that road also...

I guess there will be times when we will have opportunity to meet again (meaning when the kid/s are big enough that they don't need constant supervision), but it is a pity because for the childless people live goes on, new people are met etc.
Ultramarine 10 years ago
yeah, I agree. that friend who is pregnant now, I think we sort of got our way through her first kid. I come to visit her (not the other way around) which is OK since she hates driving anyway.. I come on the weekend when her husband takes the kid to his mother and we have out time together, we can go out or something, then we returns so we have a bit more time with her husband and kid and it's really OK. because she gets it. she knows me well enough to know that this is the best for the both of us, the longest time we can meet (since I'm the one driving) and with the less kid around as possible. It's all about the friendship really..

The other friend who is trying to have a baby also does treatments so for her, yeah, it's everything she thinks about and she is obsessed with her nephew. keeps showing me pictures and telling me stories and well, whatever.. but I know with her once she has a baby there won't be any other subject around. which is the real problem..