Helen Rena 3 years ago
So sad. I read a lot of YA stuff and some things that are written for young adults are so disturbing. I remember one book made light of sex trafficking of teenage girls. And the book was written by a woman. I just don't know...
The Fangirl 3 years ago
I don't have an issue with intense content in YA books, because honestly kids are smart and a lot of them deal with things that would make grown adults pee their pants. But not warning people who may have been victims of sexual violence, or sex trafficking is a big problem in every genre of fiction.

I'm disappointed also to see so many women perpetuating misogyny and shaming female sexuality. It's really common and something which is why I point out whenever I see it. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Helen Rena 3 years ago
I don't have a problem with intense content, but I do have a problem with presenting sex trafficking as oh-it's-no-biggie-because-it's-done-by-an-elvish-king-to-human-girls. Anyway, you're right to call that review out.
The Fangirl 3 years ago
Ah, I see and you make a great point. The glorification and normalization of slavery in YA fantasy is really disturbing. Even when the stories are well written so often I see slavery presented as no-biggie when in actuality is it devastating to a person's psyche and image of self. But often it's framed as a privileged fantasy that views slavery as freeing. Ugh.
Grimlock ♥ Inhumans 3 years ago
Which review/book is this? Can you PM me if you don't want to say here?
The Fangirl 3 years ago
@Grim I'll PM you when I get home.
Grimlock ♥ Inhumans 3 years ago
Thank you!
Linda Hilton 3 years ago
I'm hiding this because I'm not sure if it's really this simple or not. If it is, I'll post as a regular post.

The Fangirl 3 years ago
This is a great video. Thank you for sharing it.
Grimlock ♥ Inhumans 3 years ago
I was going through my feed again, and there is something hypnotizing about that GIF!
The Fangirl 3 years ago