Tannat 2 years ago
The bows are a neat idea!
Thank you. I figured the card was "not predominantly red" enough so it just might work. The idea originated with the stack of books wrapped in holiday paper, which I found when I was looking for images to use as the centerpiece of the "holiday book" joker. I ended up using a different image for the joker -- this stack wasn't large enough for that, but as a marker for my card it's got the perfect size. (And holiday paper -- ribbons and bows was a proximate thought then, of course.)

The little elf at the end of my post is the one we're using on the joker cards, too, btw -- we (well, I) ended up shrinking him so much there that I figured I owed him some space of his own *some*where in this game!
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
I like your markers, especially the bows!
Thank you! There'll be a few more / different ones yet ... I couldn't make up my mind which one(s) to use, so I just decided to save and use them all. :D
BrokenTune 2 years ago
The stacks and ribbons are really cute. :)
Thank you! Had to get tartan in there *some*how or other ... :)
I am using your template but not much anything else. I have one or two for me to update on here. I will do that later today.
Looking forward to it!
Portable Magic 2 years ago
So all you have left is the Hogsfather square? You're doing the Pratchett Rogue read?
Yes, I am. :) I suppose I could black out just with one of the Hogfather / Christmas tasks, but the read is beginning the day after tomorrow, so I'm figuring why not just wait until then? After all, it's not like this is a competition or anything, so a few days more or less won't make any difference whatsoever.
Tannat 2 years ago
I think I'm going to count Pratchett as science.
The "Science of Discworld" read, definitely. There's also going to be a Hogfather buddy read beginning on the same day, though -- I took it that PM was referring to that one. (PM?)
Portable Magic 2 years ago
I'm using my baseball book for science - since it's examining a phenomenon of elbow injuries: focusing on medical & surgical management, pathophysiology of the injury, and the mechanics of the throwing motion that contribute to it.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
Oh, I think I was combining the two in my mind. I forgot we were doing both. I haven't recovered from my long Thanksgiving weekend yet.
Sounds like the Thanksgiving weekend was all it's supposed to be then!
Tannat 2 years ago
Other Discworld books can certainly be include in the rogue reads....mwahaha
Portable Magic 2 years ago
It wasn't actually. My dad was sick and I was helping my mother care for him. He's fine now but I'm exhausted!
@PM: Oh no -- I'm so sory to hear that! Hope your dad is better now ... I'm sure your and your mom's care helped lots.

@Tannat: If so, I propose Sombrero-man Huggins as the official mascot / marker. I'm sur Mr. Pratchett would approve!
Tannat 2 years ago
Considering how much Pratchett read on all sorts of topics, I'm sure he would approve of The Flat Book Society, period. I'm always impressed on how much more I get out of his books as I read more things and find new references in my rereads.
True, that's bound to be one of the particular joys of rereading his books. I'm still in the getting-to-know phase ... though I suppose having a reread of Hogfather coincide with "The Science of Discworld" is going to be no end illuminating on both counts.
Tannat 2 years ago
Well, when I was younger I just read him because it was fun, but it seems like almost every aspect of the Discworld is based on some historical event or person or place...
... or myth or folklore or famous book. Yes, it's hard to overlook that!
Tannat 2 years ago
Well it's easy when you haven't encountered the original yet...
Portable Magic 2 years ago
Oh bless you both! I was already mourning the day when I'd finished all the Discworld books, but it's wonderful to know that I can reread them and get a whole new experience from them!
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
I hope that everything is okay with your dad.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
He's much better. Well enough to be sending me terrible Dad jokes by text.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
Congrats on the blackout!
Thank you!
Murder by Death 2 years ago
How did I get so far behind ...??
Tannat 2 years ago
I doubt you are, really.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Gah, it feels like it!
I don't think you are, either ...
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
Congratulations!
Thank you!
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
AWESOME! Happy New Year!
Thank you -- and the same to you, too!
Happy New Year. Dittoing the awesome. Looks cool.
Thank you, and Happy New Year to you in return! I had fun with this ... and more free time on my hands than expected, especially in the last couple of days.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That is one impressive effort and final score!
Thank you -- frankly, when we started this, I wasn't even sure I was going to get to blackout -- and it didn't begin very auspicially at all. But I've been able to catch up on the home stretch, as it turns out!