BrokenTune 5 months ago
I really like Samantha Bond, but not even her reading improved that story for me.
Hahaha, I admit that it did, for me (a bit) -- well, that and the fact that this is an abridged version. And a rather good abridgement, too ... they kept in all the stuff necessary to move along the story, and ditched most of the ridiculous excess. (Outside of the ridiculous premise, obviously.)

And they kept in my one big personal laugh-out-loud "in the spirit of The Secret Adversary" moment: Tommy mock-snoring an SOS code, which is heard by Albert, who just *happens* to be patrolling the street passing the residence at that moment ...
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Oh, gee, that scene was hilariously bad.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Also, wow, Quantum of Solace really sucked for you, eh?
Even in the James Bond universe, I can hardly think of anything more loathsomely mysogynistic -- I mean, the story makes *Bond* look like the most benign male in the whole setup, and that has to be some sort of negative record ... (My rating is 1/2 star for that plus 1 star for David Rintoul, who is entirely innocent of the mess and actually does the best he can with the material.)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Erm, ... The Spy Who Loved Me and From Russia with Love take the loathsome misogyny to a whole new level. Quantum was rather tame compared to those two. But I agree the underlying story in this one is loathsome. Yet, it also shows that Bond is rubbish at reading people and is generally an arrogant ass.
Oh, I fully expect blatant mysogyny from Bond himself. Somehow what really got to me, though, was hearing this coming out of a diplomat's mouth ... i.e., from a character I'd ordinarily be taking seriously (which I manifestly don't do with Bond). And Bond certainly can't read women -- it's actually no wonder he's getting into so many close scrapes because of that.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Oh, but it isn't even usually Bond who is the worst in these books, it's usually the stuff that Fleming makes other characters say and that Bond takes in as "impressive".

But, yeah, this one was full of hateful attitude. It reminded me a lot of the few Somerset Maugham stories I've read and which led me to stay away from any of his other works.
Tigus 2 months ago
I’m glad you liked The Traveller Returns. it’s hard for me to recall the plot-lines of all the Miss Silver novels I’ve read...but I think the other one in the series that has Espionage elements is the one titled The Key. The Brading Collection, and Through The Wall, do not qualify.
Yes, I did like it -- thanks once more for the recommendation! I'm not particularly fond of "Martin Guerre / Somersby" types of stories, so initially I wasn't sure about it -- but once it turned out that the focus wasn't so much "is she or isn't she" but "why" and "who's behind it," I was all there. In fact, it's one of the best spy stories by a traditional Golden Age mystery writer I've read -- certainly head and shoulders above the likes of Christie's "N or M?" and (God help us) "Destination Unknown" or "Postern of Fate" -- or Allingham's "Traitor's Purse."
Len Deighton, THE SPY FICTION MASTER!!!
Yes, indeed. He really knows his Berlin, too.