BrokenTune 5 months ago
Hochhut!! :D
Of course! :)
BrokenTune 5 months ago
:D Of course.
Moonlight Snow 5 months ago
This is a stunning achievement, Themis!
Thank you! :)
Person Of Interest 5 months ago
Yes, phenomenal list. Thanks to you and Troy for putting this together. And hope the RL challenges have eased up for you.
They have (for the time being). Thank you!
"So it goes." 5 months ago
Wow! You've really done a lot of work - this is a fabulous list. I wish my library didn't live in boxes awaiting shelving... This could be a lifelong project, so I'll add two more I meant to go back and add at some point earlier. Both authors are already represented: Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism (I found it less problematic than some parts/themes of Eichmann in Jerusalem.) And I'd add to Mario Vargas Llosa's shelf "Notes on the Death of Culture: Essays on Spectacle and Society" which was my introduction to him just a few years ago and started a love affair that hasn't ended. You have a lot of GREAT books here! I may be stealing some ideas from you if I can get myself back to reading politics without an aneurism.
Steal away, and thank you!

And thank you for the additions. Parts of Arendt's "Origins of Totalitarianism" are in the anthology I listed, but what the heck, so are parts of "The Banality of Evil", and you're right of course, "Origins of Totalitarianism" deserves to be read (and listed) in full and in its own right. And in addition to the Vargas Llosa essay collection you mentioned I've also included his earlier "Making Waves." (Side note: another fan of his here, btw. Hence, in a way, my reticence ... I tried to be particularly strict on myself with regard to the authors I particularly treasure, in order not to let this deviate into a fandom thing.) I also added three books by Rushdie that I'd meant to include from the start, but which for some stupid reason had only made the "sectioned" parts from which I'm planning to build the topical reading lists, not the overall alphabetical thing ...
That is one epic list!
A late suggestion: We
by Yevgeny Zamyatin
"So it goes." 5 months ago
Just read this very recently and really loved it. It's one of those reasons I like lists of books - that's how I stumbled upon it.
Added -- thank you!

And btw, there is no such thing as a "late" suggestion. This list is meant to grow!
Fairy Nuff! I will bear that in mind.
Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler.
Yes -- thank you!