Darth Pedant 8 months ago
Prescient dinosaurs would make for a fascinating story. XD
Hahaha, true! Calling Dr. Conan Doyle ...
BrokenTune 8 months ago
A Dr. and an accomplished writer who didn't let his readers know he was either every.single.page. :)
AND who knew his dinosaurs (or what was known about them in his day) as well as any of his scientist brethren, and managed to write a book about them that is still a bestseller 100 years later. (Before you ask: No, I haven't read it yet ...)
BrokenTune 8 months ago
LoL. It just climbed up on my TBR, too. :)
Irresponsible Reader 8 months ago
ah, rats. What a bummer
Ani's Book Abyss 8 months ago
Sounds about right.

Also, his "birds are dinosaurs" introduction was also pretty tacky.
Yes -- particularly as it came with a "reveal" telegraphed about a mile in advance. Ditto the asteroid / comet collision scene. (Which, however, leaves no doubt whatsoever that this book qualifies for the New Year's Eve square in 24 Tasks on the grounds of something going "BOOM!" ... in addition to being about beginnings and endings.)

By and large I thought the T-Rex chapter was the best one (barring its beginning), not because of its subject as such but because for once he was treating it seriously without his MeMeMe attitude getting in the way half the time. It was still fairly basic in contents, but I'd have liked the book better if more of it had been like this.
BrokenTune 8 months ago
Man, I DNF'd this but I kept coming back to the book and reading most of it because I ended up looking up differences between Brusatte and Alvarez.

The T-Rex chapter was good...but only because he kept to the science...and even then I had questions.

And the bird chapter left me seriously unimpressed. The most excitement I got out of it was wondering whether he was looking at a seagull or a pigeon.
Ani's Book Abyss 8 months ago
That is one thing--if he just kept to the science more than talking about himself, or giving overly unnecessary biographies of the people he either worked with or worshiped, I think the book would have been a little better. At least I wouldn't have felt impatient to get on with the subject of his chapter, thus ending up skimming some of the non-dinosaur content. The book probably would have been much shorter, too, though... O.o
BrokenTune 8 months ago
Much shorter.
... or the same length, because more space would have been available (and given) to its actual subject matter?!
@BT: I thought "pigeon" initially in the bird chapter, too. But when "the dinosaur" "swooped off towards the Firth of Forth", that pretty much clinched it in favor of it being a seagull.
BrokenTune 8 months ago
It was the screech. Pigeons don't screech.
True. That one briefly put "raven" in competition, though.
BrokenTune 8 months ago
No webbed feet.
You may have DNF'd, but you were obviously paying much closer attention than I was ... :)
BrokenTune 8 months ago
Like I said above, I did end up reading a lot more of the book because I ended going back for a few comparisons. The bird chapter, especially the description of the bird, was one of the few things that held my interest in the book - the bird description because it kept me guessing, the bird chapter as a whole because I found his over-simplification preposterous.

I think I should claim the book for the Task just for the emotional damage Brusatte caused just by being so aggravatingly annoying. ;)
If you got through the bird chapter (and skimmed the rest -- you did that, right? (Right??)) you can definitely claim it ...
BrokenTune 8 months ago
I even read the last chapter in full because that was the one about Alvarez...just can remember much because it lacked depth.
Definitely enough to claim the book then!! Hey, I cleaned house yesterday while I was finishing the audio and I'm still claiming the book ...
BrokenTune 8 months ago
Cool. Thanks. I'm claiming that sucker. And congrats on the house cleaning. I mean, the book was bad but bad enough to try and distract a reader with house cleaning? That's a new level. :D
Had to be done (both the house cleaning and the distraction). I feel entitled to claim this one on the grounds of the hard work associated with listening to it ... on multiple levels. So should everybody else!
Tannat 8 months ago
Wait, I thought the whole point of audiobooks was to help bring you into doing chores while listening...
Only chores that don't require a lot of thought -- I can't listen to audiobooks while doing something that requires an equal portion of my attention. So house cleaning would theoretically fit the bill ... the difference being, in this instance, that the combination didn't stop me in the least from mentally tuning out the narration and having my mind wander elsewhere. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have been able to tell you just what I did in which order to produce a clean floor and a semblance of order, but I'd be able to give a pretty fair summary of the book / chapters I'd been listening to at the same time. In this instance, alas, it's the reverse ...
Tannat 8 months ago
Ah. I regularly listen to books while doing dishes, laundry, sweeping, etc.
Portable Magic 8 months ago
Oh no
Elentarri's Book Blog 8 months ago
LOL. Too bad this one wasn't up to scratch.
It's seriously time for another really good Flat Book Society read. Of the top contenders for the January 2019 book, dare one hope Kean's "Disappearing Spoon" book might be that kind of book?
Tannat 8 months ago
I would say: no.
(Note: I haven't read it.)
Elentarri?
Elentarri's Book Blog 8 months ago
I've read both Disappearing Spoon and Sixth Extinction. Disappearing Spoon is better (imo) than 6th Extinction.

Sixth Extinction reads like a bunch of superficial magazine articles stuffed into a book, and I didn't come across anything new to me (don't know about other people). I didn't find the book to be particularly subjective either. It's just more of "humans are evil and destoying the planet" stuff without bothering to come up with any useful solutions/suggestions.

Disappearing Spoon is better read in chunks rather than in long sittings, otherwise it tends to get monotonous. Disappearing Spoon is a mix of history and science stories that revolve around elements in the periodic table. The topics/stories are are interesting/entertaining so long as you don't read them all at the same time.
Elentarri's Book Blog 8 months ago
Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction by Chris D. Thomas might be a better choice for the book club - it's not on the list. At least there will something to discuss since the author comes up with controversial statements/ideas. And it's not all doom and gloom.

Elentarri's Book Blog 8 months ago
Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers is supposed to be really good. I haven't read it yet, but bought it based on all the glowing reviews. (I hope this doesn't bite me in the butt when I do get around to reading it!).

Buzz by Thor Hanson is good. It's got personal stuff intwined with wild bee info and some goodies that were new to me.

Spillover is really good, informative with the personal stuff everyone likes so much. I found it a bit longwinded, but all the other information made up for it. This book deals mainly with viruses and the transfer of diseases between humans and animals, making use of specific examples. It is, howerver a rather fat book.

Growing a Revolution would probably be more relevant to farmers and those in some sort of agricultural field.

Rabid is good. Deals with the cultural and natural history of rabies.

Why We Get Sick is also very good. It's a more grown up book than Survival of the Sickest. Both cover the same concept/ideas. Survival of the Sickest is more simplistic.

I haven't read the others on the list for next book.
Elentarri's Book Blog 8 months ago
Sorry - just my 2 cents worth.
Tannat 8 months ago
No worries, it's appreciated!
Thanks for your insight, much appreciated indeed. I remember you said something to this effect about "The Sixth Extinction" before, but wasn't sure about Kean's "Disappearing Spoon".

You could always add "Inheritors of the Earth" and your other suggestions that aren't currently on the list as long as voting is not closed ...? Or to the one for the March 2019 list (since the list gets cleared everytime the book for the next read is chosen)?
Tannat 8 months ago
...should I skip?
Brusatte? I'd say yes.
Tannat 8 months ago
Alrighty then.
Portable Magic 8 months ago
This was going to be my first Flat Book read, but yeah, I think I'll cancel my hold at the library and wait for the next one.
Wise choice. Wouldn't want you to get started at too low a point!