Have you read A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman? Best Holmes pastiche I've read.
If it's a book, I know haven't. If it's a short story, I might have ... in which case, however, it doesn't seem to have impinged?
Moonlight Reader 8 months ago
It's a short story. It's pretty entertaining, all dressed up to look like a penny dreadful - lots of Victorian horror/sci fi references. The ads are actually the best part, IMO.

Oh, thanks for sharing ... I'll have to print this and read it later. Pretty sure now I have *not* read it.
BrokenTune 8 months ago
Ah, Holmes pastiche...I just can't do it (unless we count Poirot/Hastings as a part of the pastiche effort).
Well, they definitely were, initially ... they just developed a life of their own!
Murder by Death 8 months ago
I can only do Laurie King's and that's because Holmes isn't the main character and when he is around she mostly gets him right (ignoring the marriage bit).
BrokenTune 8 months ago
It was the "romance" bit in the first book that made me twitch, break out in hives, but it was King's depiction of how her Holmes though about Watson that made me DNF the book crying out "Blasphemy!".
Murder by Death 8 months ago
I didn't like that bit either, although she redeems herself (and Holmes' feelings about Watson) in later books.

Saying that though, I stalled out on the series even though I have several more books on the TBR. I'd just rather have the original.
BrokenTune 8 months ago
You just can't beat the original. We're nearing the end of the Holmes buddy read (only 4 stories left!!!) and I read The Creeping Man today, where Watson goes on a bit about his relationship with Holmes. It made me go a little bit gooey.