Traveling by book -- that sounds like a great idea!
Tigus 6 months ago
yes, I'm going to stick with it for now. locale will trump author's birthplace--for example, when I read To The End, by William Marshall, its Hong Kong setting will be the key, even though Marshall was Australian. on the other hand, I'm gonna keep some aspects of this a little fuzzy, so that I can work with my already huge pile of unread books, rather than buying something to keep the trend...so I found out that Ethel Lina White was from Wales, and I'll read Some Much Watch without checking whether she set it in Wales (but if I end up in London, I'll make a note of that, and make sure I actually get a story set in Wales, in the near future...that sort of loosy-goosy approach to my project; in the end, it's just for a bit of fun!).
I'm reading "Some Must Watch" (aka "The Spiral Staircase") right now ... :)
Tigus 6 months ago
yes, I thought so! I saw you flag it as Currently Reading a while ago. anxious to see how you manage with it. I have not seen the film.
I haven't seen any of the screen adaptations (I think there are several), either. -- Have to say that "The Lady Vanishes" is one of the rare cases where I like the movie better than the book, though.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
I know of a mystery series set in Wales, but it's a cozy-ish one. I say -ish, because it's more old-school cozy; closer to traditional. Rhys Bowen's Evans Above (he's a constable in a small Welsh village). In case you get desperate. ;) (they're good, but not great)
Tigus 6 months ago
thank you for that...may come in handy. I have a book called Brit Noir that has a Wales recommendations subsection, and something called Bank of the Black Sheep, culled from those suggestions, was entertaining--a unique flavor for me--but I felt the story was fairly basic and was not compelled to rate it very highly. the people and the setting were a highlight, though, and more Crime fiction set in Wales will be welcome.
You've probably read the Cadfael installments that are set in Wales, haven't you? (E.g. the first one, "A Morbid Taste for Bones" ...)
Tigus 6 months ago
MbyD: hmmmm...according to Brit Noir, I should focus on either Evan and Elle, or Evan Only Knows, by Rhys Bowen. interesting that you flag the author as in the Cosy, or Traditional, mode, while Forshaw does see the author's work as acceptably Noir, at least in some way. um...Cosy-ish Noir-ish??
Tigus 6 months ago
TA: ah, forgot about that--read A Morbid Taste For Bones ages ago, and thought it was okay. didn't light my pilot-light, but thank you--I had forgotten that was a Wales option (though contemporary for that country seems more tempting to me).
Tigus 6 months ago
hey, wow! looks like The Dead House, by Harry Bingham, will work for Wales! was not obvious when I bought it, but there we are! I'm more prepared for certain countries than I thought.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
@Tigus: *Really*?! I'm stunned. I've read just about all of them, and I'd never have called them noir-ish. Although, Evan Only Knows is a tad edgier, and dare I say, almost darker, than the rest. Much more serious. But they definitely straddle the cozy/traditional line. The characters of Llanfair are hilarious, and Evan's being sweet on village teacher remind me more of cozies. But the plots are definitely rooted in the traditional mystery. They're very well done, but paced more like a Sunday drive than a NASCAR event.

Now I might have to re-read Evan and Elle...
Tigus 6 months ago
when I read The Wheel Spins a long time ago, it was indeed called The Lady Vanishes...and had Elliott Gould and Cybil Shepherd on the cover. more multiple versions. I don't remember being that impressed; I recall it being a decent read. I wasn't as into Spy stuff at the time--but even if I read it now, I don't think my Spy fetish of the last ten or fifteen years would somehow elevate The Wheel Spins.
No -- Hitchcock really made the most of the material. So did Redgrave -- I couldn't stand that character on the page, but as portrayed by Michael Redgrave he at least had his decent moments ...