Comments: 5
William's Book Blog 5 years ago
Somehow this made the nebula shortlist for YA. For me it was a DNF. In fact, it was a barely started.
Wow I didn't know it was on the short list for that. That's a little puzzling. Although to be fair the writing is pretty stellar but coupled with such a poor plot line I'm confused why this was deemed worthy of consideration for an award? I'm not surprised you DNF it - it was a real chore to get through and I can think of a lot of things more worthy of my time, like uh, actual chores !! :D
Degrees of Affection 5 years ago
I've been wavering back and forth on whether to read this. I've never been much of a fan of Holly Black and Vampires I can generally take or leave but still...
Your review cleared all that up. Not only would it be a DNF for me, I think it can safely remain a DNR (do not read) for me. I don't get taking something so dark full of death and turning into fluff. Some things should not be.
I know, it was bizarre. And it was a shame because I actually really liked Holly Black's writing style so this had potential but it bombed on the subject matter. I would actually be interested to read something else by Holly Black to find out if this was just a case of completely missing the mark. I'm so glad you enjoy my reviews and can take something valuable away from them - much appreciated !! :D
Degrees of Affection 5 years ago
The only thing I know I read of her's was The Spiderwick and I don't remember them. I think...I feel like a read a comic book she did, something called American Vampires...Teenage Vampires...something. I vaguely remember it being...not bad but not great either.