BrokenTune 9 months ago
These look delicious! I got addicted to the sweet veggie version of them when visiting friends in Malaysia some time ago. I'm sure they were very similar to your recipe, tho maybe with regional difference.
Love that your dog likes them, too. :D
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
Ooh, sweet veggie sounds good!

Regional differences are definite. I had a discussion about these with my Vietnamese coworker who grew up in Malaysia and we like to swap recipes. She loves to cook and could tell you every possible Asian variation of steamed buns. Everything is definitely a little different, but for the most part are the same basic recipe, so we tell each other tips to help the process be more efficient, or how to beautify the look of the food a bit more. I'll have to ask her about the sweet veggie one and see if she knows how to make them.

Despite the begging look on Baby's face, when I finally broke and tried to give him a small piece of meat, he just turned his head away all like, "Now I don't want any." Then I had to coax him to eat since he already stuck his nose on it, and the rule is that if the dog has stuck his nose on it or licked it, it belongs to him. The position of power on my side only lasts so long when it comes to Baby....
BrokenTune 9 months ago
I think it may have been the mung bean one. I also tried the lotus paste. I was in Singapore before I met up with my friends in Malaysia - I had sent them a picture of pao in Singapore to ask them what it was and when they picked me up in KL they had brought a whole selection of different ones that we could take on our trip.
BrokenTune 9 months ago
Yeah, there is a definite point where the dog wins.
Baby looks very sweet, tho.
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
He's very deceptive like that... :P When he wants to play fetch or when he wants to be cuddled, he means business and don't you ignore him!
the dilemma of reading 9 months ago
Ahhh I loved reading this but now I'm hungry :D
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
lol Food posts always make me hungry too! I had another bao after I finished writing it. :P
Murder by Death 9 months ago
I love this post - thank you so much for sharing this! :)
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
Glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed writing it, and I enjoyed taking the pictures!
"creating a nipple-looking thing on the top of my steamed buns"
Hahahahha! I was going to say I like your nipples but that sounds way to "familiar" ;)
Awesome post
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
I will accept the compliment anyway! :P Because what other times can you say the word 'nipple' without people gasping scandalously? lol
Ani's Book Abyss 9 months ago
Kaya is one of my favorites! Even not in the steamed bun, my family used to spread it on toast or crackers to eat as a quick snack. And I also love the fluffy white bun as well, which is why the steamed bun with no filling is also one of my favorites, especially the way my mom always made it!