BrokenTune 3 months ago
LoL. That spreadsheet really shows a trend. I can't believe there even were some dry chapters.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Yes. I was definitely a little surprised when I found nothing to tally in some of the chapters. But to be fair, some of the chapters were kind of short, like two or three pages short, where Nick's just traveling from point A to point B with Nora with no alcohol in sight.

Though I wouldn't put it past him to carry a flask and take a few shots "off page." lol
Murder by Death 3 months ago
I can't believe you made a spreadsheet - I am in awe and laughing at the same time. I applaud your quest for data though; the book had to be hard enough to read once, by the accounts I've read so far; doing it twice for the sake of statistics sounds like a heroic effort. :)
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Eh--not so heroic, actually. lol I didn't really read the book twice, but there were a couple chapters I skimmed over more than once. Thus, the missing tallies for the last few chapters, because I got tired of the game and lost track of people anyway. I figured by that time, I should actually pay attention to what little plot there really was in the book.

I listed names and made a mark every time someone took a drink, which was actually a bit more interesting than reading the book itself. It DID make me have to start and stop reading at points, then backtrack a few times when I realized I hadn't really been paying attention to the story so much as how many drinks were being had. Made a short read a bit longer while multi-tasking the tally sheet and trying to figure out what was actually going on in the book.

I will say, there was a little bit of disbelieving eyebrow raise when Nick came out sober by the end of one or two chapters...
Murder by Death 3 months ago
His liver, I imagine, was the size of a whale's.
Tannat 3 months ago
Ah, but he's a man's man, so a diseased liver is just par for the course. Cue eyerolling.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
*eye rolling*
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
*eye rolling* x2
Obsidian Blue 3 months ago
Love the spreadsheet!!
Tannat 3 months ago
Excellent spreadsheet!
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Thanks guys! To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that the numbers weren't higher, since it seemed like someone was always drinking something. =P
You are truly a spreadsheet ninja.

And the most disappointing part of the book for me was when they planned to go to a hockey game, but then decided against it. I was kind of hoping for drunk hockey discussions.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Drunk hockey discussions would have been interesting, indeed. =P And I DO have spreadsheets for just about everything. It's my obsessive need to keep all of my reading statistics in some kind of order... even if it's a type of order that only I will understand.
Yup, I have spreadsheets for pretty much everything. Birding, books, vacations, and I even have one that catalogues all my races with times, pace, results, where I've come in my age group etc etc. I really am that nerdy.
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
This is the greatest review of The Thin Man ever written. I bow.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Thanks! I should start illustrating more of my reviews with spreadsheets and graphs!
Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
This is crazy! LMAO
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
hehe =D Crazy spreadsheet review for a book full of crazy characters!
Person Of Interest 3 months ago
Thank you kindly for sharing the drunken spreadsheet, Ani! All round excellent review of The Thin Man too!!
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Thank you! The drink tallying made the book a bit more entertaining, for sure.
Jennifer's Books 3 months ago
I enjoyed the buddy read too! Commiserating with everyone and reading their comments made the whole thing worthwhile.

I love the spreadsheet!
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
That's what I'm loving about these buddy reads--if the book is great, we can all gush together; if the book is crappy, we can all lament together. At least there's great discussion to be had by all.
JL's Bibliomania 3 months ago
Love the spreadsheet. And now that I'm done reading, enjoying going back and reading everyone else's reactions
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Thanks! Yeah. I started reading The Thin Man a couple days after the group read started, so tried not to spoil by reading everyone's reactions first. But it was fun going back and seeing what everyone else had to say. =)