Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
Nice. I'm looking forward to the rest of your opinion about the book.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
I'm really hoping that the rest of the book isn't written entirely the same way as this first chapter on the Antonine Plague. As little as I know about this subject, I'm not feeling like I've learned much more after this first chapter. It's possible that Jennifer Wright's style isn't for me.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
I didn't like the book. I don't want to say too much and ruin it for you. My review is dated for this Friday and I've listed better books for those interested.
Her writing personality clashed some during the section on Bubonic Plague. I changed my expectations with this book and kind of think of it more of a tidbit book, some little fact or historical content could interest me to look elsewhere for more depth.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
Sounds like that's probably what I'll end up doing--changing my expectations and adjusting my reading mindset for this book. Though I do agree that the title of the book is a bit misleading.
@Whiskey: That's what happened very quickly with me, too. I'm only two chapters in, but yeah. Tidbits is exactly right. And @Ani, I totally agree re: the pop culture references.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
Would it be too terrible of me if I mentioned that some of the pop culture references went way over my head?
Absolutely not. So far I haven't run into any that I didn't "get", but it's early days yet for me and I won't rule out at all that I won't run into some that I don't understand sooner rather than later -- the sheer pace at which she is dropping them makes that a distinct probability.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
I don't watch TV or socialite stuff, so that might have been a problem for me with the pop culture references. The old stuff I got, the new or mostly USA-centric references were hit or miss.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
I've already run into a few pop culture references that I didn't get. Some of the names she mentions, I know of, but didn't really see the connection or why that particular reference was used. I didn't really even start being familiar with American pop culture until I was in highschool, but then stopped paying attention to it a few years back. I'm more up to date in Chinese pop culture, if anything... :P
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I really like your insights into this, medical humour included.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
Thanks. =) I wish I had more to say on the subject of the plagues she mentions, but the truth is, she doesn't really give us (or me, rather) much to think about outside of her tangents. Which is probably why the 'Smallpox' chapter is the one I like most so far, because it's fairly focused on Smallpox without that random meandering off-topic to random tidbit information.

And medical humor is a must, even if mine isn't always comical. When you work in a hospital, you have to find ways to keep things light, or go insane thinking about all the pain, or illnesses, and seeing some grimness in family members. Even hearing about a patient "not making it" is really sad, despite the fact that, as lab tech, you only really know their name, and never really see their faces. But their lab work comes in so regularly, and you run so many tests and give out so much blood transfusion products that you hope that some of what you do is at least helping.