Murder by Death 2 years ago
This was the first Heyer I'd ever read and I completely agree with you: it's not her best written by a long stretch, but in spite of that, I still enjoyed it. Some magic combination of ghosts, humour and atmosphere just overcame the mediocre writing, I think.
Ani's Book Abyss 2 years ago
That's so true! I'm not entirely sure what it was that I liked about this book, but that combination seems to be exactly it. Even while there were times I rolled my eyes at the over-dramatics or even some of the strange humor, this book was a lot of fun to read.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
This was the second of her mysteries I've read and I did enjoy it, but I liked The Unfinished Clue better.
Lol. I've read all of Heyer's mysteries *except* for those two!
Portable Magic 2 years ago
Until I came across those two at the library, I hadn't even realized she wrote mysteries. I only knew her from the romance The Grand Sophy.
Me too (or her romances in general) -- which is why initially I wasn't much interested in her writing to begin with. It was quite a surprise to find out she wrote mysteries, too.
Ani's Book Abyss 2 years ago
I'd always seen Heyer's name around in tandem with romance, so I also didn't realize she wrote mystery until I saw her name on some of the bingo lists, specifically the Country House Mystery reading list. I figured that I'd get around to her romances eventually, being that I read romance a lot, but older romance novels are less appealing to me, simply because of time frame and romance ideals depending on when a romance was written.

I'm more inclined to pick up a mystery written in the 1930s than a romance written in the 1930s. *shrugs*
Murder by Death 2 years ago