Bettie's Books 8 years ago
:O)
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
It is short and packed a punch. MT is looked at as a micro of the macro RC church. I'd love to see what you think of it.
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
c. ah. that is not existentialism is it! That (on-going after death thang) is a device used by those who have looked at the rational logical universe of death and decay and didn't like what they saw.

Enter religion and mumbo jumbo to pacify/cure existential angst where: (important bit here) you only get existential angst if you realise there IS nothing but death.

You will do nothing but gain from Hitchens writing, however I would stay away from the increasingly rabid Dawkins who is taking it from the sublime to the ridiculous. When he gently nudged the ludicrosity of religion he was good - someone must have slipped him a vitriol pill.
:O)
Sandi 8 years ago
'Semi-Catholic'? That statement made me wonder, & as a long standing 'recovering Catholic' it gave me a little chuckle. I do agree with you on Hitchens.
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
I hope you find it eye-opening too
:O)
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
and she wouldn't give the money back!!
Sandi 8 years ago
Irish Catholic housekeeper! Now I understand, my grandmother, on my mother's side was Irish Catholic, you got Catholicism by osmosis! Mac & cheese or tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwiches mean childhood to me.
Sandi 8 years ago
I find I look with a 'baleful eye' at the 'super religious/spiritual'+ publicity hungry.
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
The Church has had to do a lot of shelling out to do what with all the abuse claims...

I think the worst part of this essay is where her and her gals were pretending to wipe the brow of the almost dead but in their hearts they were baptising them. I find that sickening. It's rather like cops who have a goal of xx arrests set down for them.
Bettie's Books 8 years ago
We'll have to agree to disagree about the ethical implications at play there.