BrokenTune 7 years ago
Oh, interesting. It's not a book I was thinking about picking up but I've read a few mentions of Into the Wild now when looking at reviews for the book I'm currently reading, and I started to wonder what the similarities were.

The MC in my book has a different story. From your review and what I have read so far, the only similarity seems to be the authors trying to explain the MCs eccentricities.
Lillelara 7 years ago
Is the person that the main character is based on in your book still alive? I think that is the main issue that I have with this book. McCandless is dead and Krakauer tries to depict his mental state in rectrospect without having known McCandless personally. Ultimately we will never know what´s been going on in his head.
And that is the reason why Krakauers "Into Thin Air" is the better book. Krakauer knew the people personally and he was with them on the mountain while disaster has struck. That was a gripping tale of survival and death and I just felt sad for the people that died on that mountain. "Into the Wild" is in comparison just bland and meh.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Oh, whether the MC is still alive is a good question at this point. The book starts with him going missing and I haven't finished, yet. In my book atleast there are medical records of a diagnosis of paranoia and schizophrenia.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
As for "Into Thin Air", there was a Facebook post by KT Tunstall just a couple of days ago reminscing about when she read the book and someone came up to her saying it was comple BS and he had been one of the survivors or something. I'll try and find the post...no idea if it was true. I would not usually have noticed but I was just starting to wonder whether to pick up Krakauer.
Lillelara 7 years ago
I´m not taking everything that Krakauer writes at face value. His narrative is tainted with survivers guilt and his depictions of the events are cleary biased. I actually thought while reading the book that he was overly harsh towards Anatoli Bukrejew (the guy that got 3 or 4 people down from the mountain in the middle of the storm). But I still enjoyed reading "into Thin Air" and I couldn´t put it down. It really is a gripping read.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
I just found Into the Wild on my library's OverDrive - looks like a sign that really I should start this soon.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Did you at any point feel that Krakauer's writing resembles the stories of Gilderoy Lockhart?
Lillelara 7 years ago
Gilderoy Lockhart? That guy from Harry Potter that is full of himself? It has been ages since I have read Harry Potter so I´m afraid I didn´t see the connection. Maybe Joanne K. Rowling took her inspiration for Gilderoys adventures from this book.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Lol. Yes, sorry, Gilderoy from HP. The similarity struck me when Krakauer departed from McCandless story and told about his own climbing expeditions to draw up similarities in the two guys endeavours and experiences. It was an attempt to show that he may better understand McCandless motivations than anyone else - except I didn't think it worked.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Gilderoy had the habit of taking on other people's stories and passing them off as his own. While Krakauer does not do this, I felt it was a similar case where Krakauer took his thought/motivations and prjected them on McCandless.
Lillelara 7 years ago
That is one of my main issues that I have with this book, Krakauer tries to depict McCandless as a guy who is mentally sane and not a total nutjob. Further on in the story he tells some stories of some other guys who went out on crazy "missions" and they are totally insane but McCandless ... no, he is that regular, sane guy who just calls himself Alex Supertramp for no apparent reason at all. I was like "What?"
I´m really looking forward to your insights thorughout the story. Especially one story of another guy was a very sad one and I kind of felt angry, that he is supposed to be crazy. He was just dumb. There is a huge difference there.
Lillelara 7 years ago
A yeah, Gilderoy Lockehart? Thanks for reminding me what his character is like. Seriously, I have to reread Harry Potter and ultimately finish it. Back then I stopped after book five.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Aaaargh. I just got to the part (I love the audiobook) where he adds his insights about the Franklin expedition - comparing McCandless to Fanklin and saying that Franklin led his expedition to death because of stupidity and arrogance - which is not exactly why they perished but who would doubt Krakauer's expertise....???
Lillelara 7 years ago
Another one of these "What?" moments:). I thought that this comparison was an odd one and it just felt like a random comparison. At least Franklin tried to achive something by discovering the northwest passage (and adventurer sometimes risks a lot by doing so). And what does McCandless try to achive? I´m telling you, Krakauer tries everything to make us sympathise with McCandless even if he has to tell some serious bs.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
There is a lot BS in this book.

I'm getting to the point where I think I should revise my rating of The Golden Spruce because as confusing and drawn out as Vaillant's writing was it was a great story told without his personal judgement and more importantly without the additional BS Krakauer seems to revel in.

He's now on to laying blame for McCandless' death at the door of the author of the plant book for not pointing out that the seeds of the wild potato plant are poisonous. Another "What?" moment.
Lillelara 7 years ago
LOL! I love this :D. You have to look at it that way. McCandless has a college degree so he can´t be utterly stupid and someone else has to be blamed for his demise. Someone has to be responsible for his death.
Right now I´m doubting myself if my 2,5 star rating was to generous for this book. But then I have read far worse books than this one.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
In my book, 2.5* is nearly a good book. I'm currently looking at 2* because there are definitely worse books - this one merely suffers from the author's ego basking in a crap load of self-indulgence.
Lillelara 7 years ago
Apparently I´m a little bit more harsh in my rating system. 2,5 stars means "This was not good but I managed to finish it". Seriously, this book is the cause for my current reading slump. It sucked the will to read right out of me.
I suspect that Krakauer had to write 200 pages for this book and he just didn´t have enough material to provide this. Hence all the BS.
I´m planning to watch the Sean Penn movie when I´m on vacation. I imagine that this story would make a great movie.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Would it make a good film? You already know the ending. Would the script add anything to or contradict Krakauer's version? I'd be surprised but will await your verdict. :)

I'm currently doing the Oh-my-god-this-is-finished-dance. Looks like the book has had the opposite effect on me - I can't wait to get stuck in a "good" book. :)
Lillelara 7 years ago
Well, I think that all the comparison crap isn´t an issue in the movie (I certainly hope so). I´m hoping for some gorgeous landscapes of Alaska and other than that I have no clue. I´m not expecting to perceive McCandless as anything other than he is ... a selfish human being which I do not like at all.

And I´m so glad that you are doing your dance. But I have to ask you: did you feel sorry for that guy that forgot to arrange his transport back to civilization. I just felt like it was overly crude of Krakauer to call him crazy or a nutjob. I just felt sorry for this guy. A thing I couldn´t manage to feel for Chris McCandless at all.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Yeah, I did feel sorry for the guy - even though I thought he also was an idiot to dump his ammunition in the lake before he was home safe and dry. I guess I also am more sympathetic to McCandless. Well, not sympathetic exactly. I respect his attempt to live off the land in a way that seemed right to him. However, he knew the risk. I'm not sorry for him. I feel for his parents, but at the end of the day, it was his life and his call how to live it.
Lillelara 7 years ago
I kind of get why McCandless is doing the things he is doing and I do understand his reasoning behind it, feeling betrayed by the father and all that. But I still don´t like him. Maybe I will sympathize with him more after watching the movie. I will keep you up to date:).
BrokenTune 7 years ago
I don't like him but I don't dislike him.